John Wearmouth Original Historic Documents for Sale
03-29-2013, 06:10 PM
John Wearmouth Original Historic Documents for Sale
John Wearmouth is putting several of his original historic documents up for sale. I thought some of the members of this discussion group might be interested. Please click the document link below to see what John is offering. His mailing address and phone number are on the first page. The last email address I have for him is stonesthrowantiques@verizon.net. I usually talk to him by phone, so I'm not sure if the email address is current.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4plj4kx7ahqj8yh/wearmouth.pdf
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2013, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 06:30 PM by L Verge.)
RE: John Wearmouth Original Historic Documents for Sale
I hope that the Southern Maryland Studies Center at the College of Southern Maryland will consider making an offer on these items for their collections.

I think there is also an error in the description of the second item related to Philip Barton Key. Key was murdered by Daniel Sickles in Lafayette Park because of his dalliances with Sickles's wife. However, Sickles was charged with the murder and became the first person to be found not guilty for reasons of temporary insanity. Sickles's defense lawyer was Edwin McMasters Stanton.

I should have added that John Wearmouth and his wife, Roberta, have done a tremendous amount of work in documenting the history of Southern Maryland - especially Charles County. Their efforts have not always been appreciated by the old-timers of the area (perhaps because they migrated here from Michigan after WWII), but their publications have been excellent tools for researchers. I have always enjoyed talking with the both of them.
03-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Sickles was a madman and probably one of the most incompetent Union General's of the war. He did, however, do alot for the veterans after the war. So I guess that credit should be given where credit is due. A good bio on Sickles is Sickles The Incredible by W.A. Swanberg which I read a number of years back. There is a good account of the incident with Phillip Barton Key in this book.

Craig
03-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Sickles certainly was different. What's the story about him visiting his amputated leg every year? Was that on the anniversary of it's removal?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
03-30-2013, 12:32 AM
Joe, He did visit his amputated leg which he had given to the Army Medical Museum in Washington. Apparently he had a small coffin made for it!

Craig
03-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Jim Garrett has a picture of the leg. Maybe he will post it.
03-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Sickles' competency as a general is much up for dispute. In spite of what Meade thought, one can make a good case that Sickles saved the union Army at Gettysburg on the second day by busting up Longstreet's attack before it hit the lower end of Cemetery Ridge and the Round Tops. He had the same thing happen to him, the passage of part of the Confederate army across his front, in this case, Jackson's Corps at Chancellorsville. He was told to hold and Jackson mauled the XI Corps and nearly took Sickles in his rear. Sickles was not about to let that happen again without a fight. His person foibles with women and whiskey are something else again.
03-30-2013, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2013 07:49 PM by BettyO.)
Here is Sickle's leg bone

[Image: desickleslegbonephoto01.jpg]

And a sketch of the old Gentleman taking a peak at it --

[Image: helloleg.jpg]

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
03-30-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm shocked no one has ever made a movie about that rascal Dan Sickles. I'm sure it would include his rumored affair with the deposed Queen Isabella II of Spain whose appearance would have to be substantially improved.

At age 92 Dan Sickles had to resign as chairman of the New York State Monuments Commission over accusations that he had stolen $27,000 earmarked for a bust of himself at Gettysburg. It is said that is why the Excelsior Monument at Gettysburg is surmounted by an eagle and why there is no Sickles monument there.
Tom
03-30-2013, 11:10 PM
(03-29-2013 10:05 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  Sickles certainly was different. What's the story about him visiting his amputated leg every year? Was that on the anniversary of it's removal?

Theres also a story that his ghost has been seen visiting the legAngel

Sickles was one helluva character, the type of person that could only be found in America.
You just couldn't make someone like him up!!Exclamation
03-31-2013, 04:07 PM
After what Tom just posted, I think I need to do a bit more reading on Gen. Sickles.
03-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Sickles probably proves what Commodore Vanderbilt said to the newspaper reporter what he learned about Jim Fiske and Jay Gould after he lost out on a deal with F & G, "Never kick a skunk."