Lincoln the Shakespearean critic?
09-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Lincoln the Shakespearean critic?
The New York Herald, September 17, 1863:

"Mr. Lincoln's genius is wonderfully versatile. No department of human knowledge seems to be unexplored by him....It only remained for him to cap the climax of popular astonishment and admiration by showing himself to be a dramatic critic of the first order, and the greatest and most profound of the army of Shakespearean commentators."

What was really going on with this newspaper entry?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2012, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 12:20 PM by RJNorton.)
RE: Lincoln the Shakespearean critic?
Bill, Lincoln wrote the following letter to actor James Hackett. I think Hackett made the letter public and newspapers "jumped" on it.

--------------------------------------------------

To James H. Hackett

Executive Mansion, Washington, August 17, 1863.

My dear Sir:

Months ago I should have acknowledged the receipt of your book, and accompanying kind note; and I now have to beg your pardon for not having done so.

For one of my age, I have seen very little of the drama. The first presentation of Falstaff I ever saw was yours here, last winter or spring. Perhaps the best compliment I can pay is to say, as I truly can, I am very anxious to see it again. Some of Shakspeare's plays I have never read; while others I have gone over perhaps as frequently as any unprofessional reader. Among the latter are Lear, Richard Third, Henry Eighth, Hamlet, and especially Macbeth. I think nothing equals Macbeth. It is wonderful. Unlike you gentlemen of the profession, I think the soliloquy in Hamlet commencing ``O, my offence is rank'' surpasses that commencing ``To be, or not to be.'' But pardon this small attempt at criticism. I should like to hear you pronounce the opening speech of Richard the Third. Will you not soon visit Washington again? If you do, please call and let me make your personal acquaintance.

Yours truly
A. LINCOLN.
Find all posts by this user
09-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Roger: it's an interesting "back-story" to what must has been very embarrassing for President Lincoln. As we know, the newspapers were very harsh at times-not unlike today?

Bill Nash
09-09-2012, 03:51 PM
After seeing Edwin Booth, Lincoln said if it weren't for Booth's playing, he'd have much rather read the piece at home.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
09-09-2012, 04:08 PM
What performance of Edwin's did Lincoln see?

Bill Nash
09-09-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure, Bill, but I think it was Hamlet.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
09-10-2012, 09:37 AM
To answer both items, from my American Presidents Attend the Theatre:
Re Lincoln and Shakespeare: Actor James H. Hackett had sent Lincoln a personalized copy of his book, Notes and Comments upon Certain Plays and Actors of Shakespeare. Lincoln responded with a letter that included a self-deprecating disclaimer: “I have seen very little of the drama. The first presentation of Falstaff I ever saw was yours. . . . Perhaps the best compliment I can pay is to say, as I truly can, I am very anxious to see it again.” He expressed his preference for Lear, Richard III, Henry VIII, and especially Macbeth—“I think nothing equals Macbeth. It is wonderful!”—and ventured an opinion on Hamlet: “Unlike you gentlemen of the profession, I think the soliloquy in Hamlet commencing ‘O, my offence is rank’ surpasses that commencing ‘To be, or not to be.’ But pardon this small attempt at criticism.” Further stroking Hackett’s ego, he closed with a wish “to hear you pronounce the opening speech of Richard the Third. Will you not soon visit Washington again? If you do, please call and let me make your personal acquaintance.” Hackett wasted no time publishing the note as a broadside entitled “A Letter from President Lincoln to Mr. Hackett,” ostensibly for his friends alone, disingenuously subtitled “Printed not for publication but for private distribution only.” It was of course quickly picked up by newspapers and ignited a firestorm of denigration mocking the President’s pretensions to dramatic criticism. Particularly vicious was the New York Herald. Disdaining Lincoln’s “awkward speech” and “decidedly self taught” grammar, it accused him of being one of a “crowd of arrogant pretenders to taste.” The man who in six weeks would compose the Gettysburg Address was scolded for using words that were devoid “of vigor and originality.” What will come next? it asked. “Discussing divinity with political preachers, debating plans of campaign with military heroes, . . . arguing questions of Constitutional law?” Hackett professed ignorance, being “vexed” at the leak (but telling the President, “I felt assured that as a man of the world now and an experienced politician you were not likely to be so thin skinned.”) Lincoln’s response (boldly marked “private”) is a model of forbearance: “Give yourself no uneasiness on the subject mentioned. . . . My note to you I certainly did not expect to see in print; yet I have not been much shocked by the newspaper comments upon it. Those comments constitute a fair specimen of what has occurred to me through life. I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it.”

Re Edwin Booth: National Theatre owner Leonard Grover had been sending letters to the White House, proffering a double private box for the Friday, February 26, 1864, evening double bill of Edwin Booth as Shylock in The Merchant of Venice and the title role in Augustin Daly’s version of Don Caesar de Bazan. The President finally accepted and that night walked over with Seward and Brooks. At the theater, Lincoln “was in a remarkable flow of spirits,” Brooks observed, providing his guests with comic running commentary: “As we sat, two or three of the supernumeraries in scarlet hose were constantly in the line of sight. Finally, the President said: ‘I wonder if those red-legged, pigeon-toed chaps don’t think they are playing this play? They are dreadful numerous.’ Just before the act drop went up each time, he consulted his programme and said, ‘This is Act two eyes,’ or ‘Act eye V,’ as the case may be. And as we went home, he said: ‘It was a good performance, but I had a thousand times rather read it at home, if it were not for Booth’s playing. A farce or a comedy is best played; a tragedy is best read at home.”
09-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Tom: thanks for your most informative post. I especially enjoyed and marveled at Lincoln's response to Mr. Hackett. His response gave just one more little insight into what he had to contend with as president-and his ability to handle negative situations so well.

Bill Nash
05-30-2014, 06:27 PM
A little background on Leonard Grover: he traveled with Ward Hill Lamon's group from Washington, D.C. on November 17, 1863 via train to Gettysburg where he presumably witnessed the dedication of the new Soldiers' National Cemetery and Lincoln's "Gettysburg Address" on November 19, 1863.
05-31-2014, 05:52 AM
(05-30-2014 06:27 PM)CHeberton Wrote:  A little background on Leonard Grover: he traveled with Ward Hill Lamon's group from Washington, D.C. on November 17, 1863 via train to Gettysburg where he presumably witnessed the dedication of the new Soldiers' National Cemetery and Lincoln's "Gettysburg Address" on November 19, 1863.

Hi Craig. This was new to me. Do you possibly recall where you saw this? Many thanks.
05-31-2014, 10:52 AM
AL was a funny guy, and despite his sensitivity had a very thick skin. There was something almost Zen in his ability to tune out the abuse and ridicule he received for much of his public career, much of it unnecessarily cruel.
05-31-2014, 11:28 AM
(05-31-2014 05:52 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(05-30-2014 06:27 PM)CHeberton Wrote:  A little background on Leonard Grover: he traveled with Ward Hill Lamon's group from Washington, D.C. on November 17, 1863 via train to Gettysburg where he presumably witnessed the dedication of the new Soldiers' National Cemetery and Lincoln's "Gettysburg Address" on November 19, 1863.

Hi Craig. This was new to me. Do you possibly recall where you saw this? Many thanks.

This information is from the Ward Hill Lamon Collection at the Huntington Library. Grover is one of several names listed on a declaration of the persons intending to accompany Marshal-in-chief Ward H. Lamon to Gettysburg "tomorrow" from Washington, D.C. Most of the men on the list can be cross-referenced to later reports identifying them as marshal's aides. I have not found Grover (and several others, such as Col. W.Y. Dennis) denoted in any newspaper reports as having served as an aide. I address some of this, along with the possibility that Ward H. & his brother Robert Lamon appear together in several photos taken at Hanover Junction, PA, at:
http://abrahamlincolnatgettysburg.wordpr...nction-pa/
05-31-2014, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Craig. I had never seen Grover's name included in any list I had come across previously.
05-31-2014, 06:04 PM
(05-31-2014 01:43 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thanks, Craig. I had never seen Grover's name included in any list I had come across previously.

You are most welcome. Roger. I welcome comments from anyone who has information about the people who accompanied Ward Hill Lamon to Gettysburg as well as the men who served as marshal's aides either selected by Lamon or appointed by state governors.