Storyteller portion of a Sobbing of the Strong
11-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Storyteller portion of a Sobbing of the Strong
Sharing good news sent to Laurie by forum member David E. George on his assassination film project....

Hi Laurie

Warming up here in San Antonio from the storm that is headed your way. Just wanted to let you know that we had a great shoot in New York City two weeks ago where we did the storyteller portion of a Sobbing of the Strong. It was a great experience to work with such a good looking and talented group of actors from all over the country but ironically mostly southerners. One of our cast is from Massachusetts and one has family near you in PG county but other than that we were from Texas, Virginia, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee. We really had a great time and although we may have tripped over a fact or two historically, we did the best we could to balance the history and still give great performances. While I do so respect the history very much as director I had to really find a fair balance between the history and the art which was VERY challenging. Still I'm hopeful that we are true to the great narrative.

I have attached a pic of my cast for you to see. They are just a great looking group. Now comes months of editing and voiceover and music cleanup to do. Hope to wrap this up by 4-14-14 a year ahead of the 150th.

I could never have even thought about doing this without all the wonderful help I received from the Surratt Society. I can never thank you and staff enough

Happy Thanksgiving

David

[Image: storytellers.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2013, 09:11 AM
RE: Storyteller portion of a Sobbing of the Strong
I'm afraid to ask, what's a mocku documentary musical?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-27-2013, 10:27 AM
I think that may be a typo and should read mockup. That doesn't mean I really understand what a mockup-documentary musical is. I am envisioning this along the lines of Sondheim's production "Assassins," however.
11-27-2013, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2013 11:03 AM by asobbingfilm.)
Don't be afraid to ask !! Im only to glad to tell you. Really the term is docu-mocku musical mentary. In a nutshell think of Ken Burns meets Christopher Guest with a classical/Americana soundtrack. Even more afraid now? Don't be. Its the assassination narrative in music, poetry, letters, newspaper articles and voices from the event bound together by a group of amazing (and good looking) actors from New York City improvising the parts of historians. As I've told others it's not a historical piece but an entertainment piece. We are on the web at http://www.asobbingfilm.com As of today more than 150 actors, singers, musicians, historians, and technical people have helped me to bring things along this far. Not to mention all the help I have received from Laurie and crew from the Surratt Society. Although I love the history, trust me, I'm from Texas where our moto is, "never let the facts get in the way of telling a great story". Still I think we have done a great job getting it down and finding a fair balance. I hope it's a film historians, theater people, music lovers and the general public can embrace. We hope to be finished in April. I'll be at the Surratt conference in March if anyone wants me to talk their ear off about my work.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user