The Prisoner of Shark Island
11-20-2013, 05:57 PM
The Prisoner of Shark Island
I have added the movie about Dr. Mudd’s time at Fort Jefferson - The Prisoner of Shark Island - to the main page of samuelmudd.com. It’s pretty bad history, but pretty good entertainment, so have a look if you have never seen it. The movie is in the public domain.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2013, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2013 06:57 PM by Gene C.)
RE: The Prisoner of Shark Island
Very good Bob!

Gloria Stuart plays Mrs Mudd. In the movie they changed her name to Peggy.
That's the only inaccurate thing in the whole movie. Amazing isn't it?
Gloria Stuart lived to be 100.

Another interesting actor in the movie was John Carridine. He was in a lot of old movies. His son is David Carradine of "Kun Fu" fame

Here's the movie trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rTOpZMm5Rc

That's some kiss Mrs Mudd plants on the good Dr. I'm sure that $20 bill she's clutching has nothing to do with it.
And that's John Carradine who says "take a look at the man who....." (I think he would have made a good Boston Corbett)
You'll just have to watch it....

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Gloria Stuart is the same actress who played the elderly Rose in Titanic. I remember Dr. Richard Mudd telling me that Ms. Stuart wasn't pretty enough to play Mrs. Mudd in The Prisoner of Shark Island - they should have looked harder for a prettier actress. I politely kept my mouth shut (and yes, I am capable of doing that at times!).
11-20-2013, 09:43 PM
It's actually a good early John Ford movie.
Always liked the way the portrayed the shooting, going to Lincoln in the chair clutching the playbill, then the gauze-type curtain covering his face to fade out the scene.
Plus John Carradine brightens up any movie he was in.
Basically he was part of Ford's 'stock' movie company.
11-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Quote:John Carradine brightens up any movie he was in.

He certainly does -- I love the character of the gambler that he portrayed in Ford's Stagecoach......the quintessential Victorian Southern Gentleman.... - a great Shakespearean actor as well. I will watch any movie he's in - he's one of my favorites!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley