Hershey Felder in Abe Lincoln's Piano
10-23-2013, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013 07:32 PM by Anita.)
The Geffen Playhouse presents
January 3 - January 13, 2014

Gil Cates Theater
Created by Hershey Felder
Based on the Music of Stephen Foster
Directed by Trevor Hay

A World Premiere Spotlight Entertainment Series Event

How can one evening at the theater change history? The unfolding of events of April 14, 1865 did just that as the lives of those in the audience and those in our country would never be the same. Uncovering Abraham Lincoln’s White House piano and many of the era’s personalities to tell these stories best, Hershey Felder regales us with a stunningly new and insightful look at the artistry, politics and individuals surrounding that fateful night at Ford’s Theatre. From vaudeville to minstrel shows to American hymns and songs of patriotism, Felder’s signature storytelling and music reminds us of our collective history and how the history of the brave emboldens us all.
http://geffenplayhouse.com/more_info.php?show_id=191
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2013, 07:51 PM
RE: Hershey Felder in Abe Lincoln's Piano
(10-23-2013 07:31 PM)Anita Wrote:  The Geffen Playhouse presents
January 3 - January 13, 2014

Gil Cates Theater
Created by Hershey Felder
Based on the Music of Stephen Foster
Directed by Trevor Hay

A World Premiere Spotlight Entertainment Series Event

How can one evening at the theater change history? The unfolding of events of April 14, 1865 did just that as the lives of those in the audience and those in our country would never be the same. Uncovering Abraham Lincoln’s White House piano and many of the era’s personalities to tell these stories best, Hershey Felder regales us with a stunningly new and insightful look at the artistry, politics and individuals surrounding that fateful night at Ford’s Theatre. From vaudeville to minstrel shows to American hymns and songs of patriotism, Felder’s signature storytelling and music reminds us of our collective history and how the history of the brave emboldens us all.
http://geffenplayhouse.com/more_info.php?show_id=191

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Ford's Theatre Society picked up on this and brought it East to the stage at Ford's?
10-24-2013, 05:01 AM
Anita, thank you for posting this. Sounds wonderful!
10-24-2013, 07:09 AM
It does sound wonderful! I don't think Lincoln played which the piano- too bad - because with his long fingers he could have covered quite a range with his hands.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-24-2013, 08:49 AM
(10-24-2013 07:09 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  It does sound wonderful! I don't think Lincoln played which the piano- too bad - because with his long fingers he could have covered quite a range with his hands.

Bill, I think you are right.
10-24-2013, 09:49 AM
That was fun Roger! Sidebar: I wish his beard was shorter- I found it a little distracting because of its unLincoln-like length. He obviously has found a way to uniquely showcase his piano talent and skills with history and Abraham Lincoln. We know that the real Lincoln enjoyed performances. Not only did he attend plays- but he also went to operas. I don't recall at the moment if he ever went to a symphony. Does anyone know? It would be interesting if he did- and which works of music did he hear? I consider that I have large hands. When I went to the Lincoln Museum in eastern Tennessee, I discovered how large Lincolns hands were. There is outline of his hand on one of the walls. You can place your hand in the outline to compare. Lincoln's fingers weremuch longer than mine! It stunnedme somewhat because he and I are the same in height- both 6'4."

Bill Nash
10-24-2013, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2013 10:02 PM by Anita.)
Roger, I never know what's in store when I click one of your words in "blue". That was so much fun. Even my hubby came in to check it out. First thing he commented on was the long hair!

I just read Justin Taylor's review of Felder's performance as "... Charles Leale, an army surgeon and the first doctor to tend to Abraham Lincoln on the night of his assassination..." ..." Once Felder gets to the assassination and its aftermath, he hews closely to the details provided in Leale's 1909 address "Lincoln's Last Hours," but he invents one shamelessly sentimental episode: Leale sings "My Old Kentucky Home" into the ear of the comatose Lincoln."
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/an-...id=9024147

I may not want to pay $75 a ticket to go to the Geffen performance.

Bill, Lincoln liked Louis Moreau Gottschalk an American composer and pianist, best known as a virtuoso performer of his own romantic piano works. Lincoln liked his " Union (Fantasy on Patriotic Airs)." You can listen to it at http://www.npr.org/2009/02/16/100675699/...d-an-ipod.
10-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks Anita! I was wondering if he had attended any symphonies or piano concertos by Beethoven or Mozart (mostly because I love their works).

Bill Nash
10-25-2013, 01:44 PM
(10-25-2013 10:59 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Thanks Anita! I was wondering if he had attended any symphonies or piano concertos by Beethoven or Mozart (mostly because I love their works).

He attended Mozart's "Magic Flute" which is an opera but so far I haven't been able to find that he attended the symphony. I am curious about this also.