Performances Canceled at Ford’s Theatre
10-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Performances Canceled at Ford’s Theatre
Article here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2013, 12:54 PM
RE: Performances Canceled at Ford’s Theatre
How interesting to learn for the first time in over forty years (and earlier than that) that the Ford's Theatre Society "runs" Ford's Theatre! How come none of them are giving tours and dealing with thousands of visitors from 9 am to 5 pm each day?

I happen to be a fan of the National Park Service nationwide. In most cases, they do a tremendous job with a much smaller budget than what they deserve -- and, unlike many of our big government bureaucrats, they give back to John Q. Public.
10-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Is Arlington closed? It is a "National" cemetery- so I wonder if it is also shut down.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Arlington Cemetery is open for interments and pedestrian traffic, I believe. It is actually part of a military base, Ft. Myer, if I'm not mistaken. However, the Lee Mansion (Arlington House) is closed for tours and the tram service that takes people through the huge cemetery complex is also closed.

The burial schedule at Arlington is so back-logged that it would be chaotic to postpone burials because of the shut-down. The husband of one of our guides at Surratt House was a three-star general. He died last year in May, but the funeral did not happen until July.
10-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Wow! Anyway, glad to hear it is operating on it's most important function.

Bill Nash
10-14-2013, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2013 05:27 PM by Dawn E Foster.)
(10-13-2013 05:28 PM)L Verge Wrote:  The burial schedule at Arlington is so back-logged that it would be chaotic to postpone burials because of the shut-down. The husband of one of our guides at Surratt House was a three-star general. He died last year in May, but the funeral did not happen until July.

My uncle was buried at Arlington, but that would have been back in the late 60's. I have memories from about 12 or 13 of riding in the funeral procession all the way from northern New Jersey (where he had retired after a career in the Air Force) (he was originally from Texas).
10-14-2013, 03:28 PM
If you have never been present at a military funeral in Arlington or the changing of the guard at the Tombs of the Unknowns, you have missed a tribute to fallen servicemen that will tug at every heart string you have. When the bugler plays Taps, and the sound reverberates through those thousand acres, you are bound to cry.
10-14-2013, 10:10 PM
I agree. Both of my parents are buried at Arlington. The ceremony was very moving.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Ford's Theatre might be closed, but on Wednesday from 7:00 - 9:00 EST there's an online virtual tour of the theatre for teachers and a pre-recorded panel discussion involving James Swanson. I might check it out on Wednesday:

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/programs-e...ds-theatre
10-15-2013, 09:09 AM
That's a top-notch panel. I have heard all but one speak at various events, and they are good speakers as well as knowledgeable. The first characteristic is all-important to me. I don't care how much you know, if you cannot impart your ideas to the public in a meaningful and interesting way that holds their attention, you are a mediocre speaker (IMO).

P.S. Craig Symonds just spoke at one of the Surratt programs this summer and wow'd the audience. James Swanson has spoken several times at our museum and is always a "comfortable" speaker who holds your attention, as is Matthew Pinsker. Richard Norton Smith has a bit of the showman in him.
10-15-2013, 07:08 PM
(10-14-2013 10:18 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Ford's Theatre might be closed, but on Wednesday from 7:00 - 9:00 EST there's an online virtual tour of the theatre for teachers and a pre-recorded panel discussion involving James Swanson. I might check it out on Wednesday:

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/programs-e...ds-theatre

Thanks for this. I've heard Matthew Pinsker at the Lincoln Cottage and enjoyed Richard Norton Smith on the First Ladies series. This is definitely worth checking out.