What would Booth and Davis say to each other?
05-25-2013, 08:34 PM
RE: What would Booth and Davis say to each other?
(05-25-2013 07:17 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Frankly, I tend to think Davis might have been appalled by Booth killing Lincoln as he did. Does anyone else think so?

Lincoln Fan,
I was looking for a list of recommended books when I ran into your thread. If you will tolerate a non-standard answer, I will tell you of the time Davis and Booth met. First, I want you to know that Jefferson Davis had no desire to kill Lincoln. He was under the influence of his brother Joseph Davis. Joseph Davis and Abraham Lincoln hated each other with a passion.

A week before the death of General Stonewall Jackson, he and Jefferson Davis met to discuss the promotion of John Wilkes Booth to a full colonel in the Confederate Secret Service. Booth served in the Confederate Secret Service under Stonewall Jackson. A few weeks after Jackson's death, a secret meeting was arranged between Jefferson Davis, Joseph Davis, and John Wilkes Booth. Jefferson Davis and Joseph Davis were the first to arrive at the secret location. Jefferson was expressing his sadness over the death of Jackson to Joseph when Booth came in and over heard a part of the conversion. Booth told Jefferson that he had made an investigation into Jackson's killing and he took the life of the man that killed Stonewall Jackson. Booth took the life of eighteen-year-old David William Hemmingstad.

Booth received his promotion and an assignment. He was to kill or capture Abraham Lincoln. Joseph give Booth $50,000 Confederate dollars for expenses and the promise of another $50,000 after the successful completion of the assignment.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would Booth and Davis say to each other? - Troy Cowan - 05-25-2013 08:34 PM