Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution
05-25-2023, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2023 02:40 PM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution
I presume, Roger, that you read my previous post on this thread.

I quote therefrom:

The Way Out of the Debt Crisis Could Lead Back Through the Civil War (emphasis added)
New York Times -- May 25, 2023

The Treasury needed the money. The legal tender bill passed and was signed by Lincoln — with the amendment — and the government’s financial crisis, at least for the moment, subsided. Troops were happy to get the new greenbacks, as they were called, and so were merchants and others.

The public debt climbed to $2.68 billion by the end of the war — 41 times its level at the onset of Southern secession. Yet the United States emerged with its credit improved at home and abroad, able to borrow more and at lower interest rates.

After the war, the 14th Amendment to the Constitution (stipulating that the validity of the public debt of the United States “shall not be questioned”) implicitly treated the debt as sacrosanct.

The 14th Amendment to the Constitution is what kept lenders from demanding payment in gold. Henceforth, greenbacks became the equivalent of gold. The Constitution is the Supreme Law. Ordinary Congressional legislation is just that. When ordinary Congressional legislation conflicts with the 14th Amendment to the Constitution, the Constitution prevails in ALL cases at law.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution - David Lockmiller - 05-25-2023 02:40 PM