The America I Love Needs to Do Better
06-04-2020, 06:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2020 06:23 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: The America I Love Needs to Do Better
(06-03-2020 03:37 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  
(06-03-2020 01:22 PM)Mylye2222 Wrote:  
(06-03-2020 06:44 AM)Gene C Wrote:  I was comparing some pictures of the civil rights marches from this week and from the 1950's up to the early 1960's. Google "civil rights marches 1960's" and look at the images in the link below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=civil+ri...66&bih=625

There were two things that came to my attention in comparing the marches.
- In the images from the early 60's, when an American flag was carried by the marchers, it was displayed with respect.
- Look how the leaders, and not just those those marching in the front are dressed. Photo's from the 60's show men wearing coats and ties, women wearing dresses or skirts.

There is an impression of dignity and self respect.
Which group would you rather listen two and take more seriously?
Which group gives the impression they want to be part of the solution to the problem and are willing to work and become personally involved in a solution?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

You're right about the dressing up. The 60's civil rights activists were physically showing their desire to be equal citizens. They were not advocating for racial vendetta nor playing the victim card.

Exactly how much better dressed would you like the protesters to be before you would actually start listening to their pleas of “we don’t want to be murdered by police?” Do they all need to grow a beard and wear a top hat for you to finally care about them?

I’m astonished at the severe lack of understanding (or just overt racism) on display on a forum dedicated to Abraham Lincoln.

#BlackLivesMatter
And Lincoln didn't wear a tie, did he? And over here, a baseball cap is not a proper attire either, it's kids' streetwear or for sports/jogging or for the beach. Has become more tolerant though in the past yrs as we use to copy a lot that comes from the US.
One thing that we in the "Old World" used to love about the US was exactly the freedom (at least that was the image) to wear and look as you like and being accepted. Pink for old ladies, sportswear (and baseball caps) in the streets, whatsoever, no fashion dress code.
Reminds me if this:
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/littleprince/chapter4.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The America I Love Needs to Do Better - Eva Elisabeth - 06-04-2020 06:11 AM