Member's new book out on October 8
09-13-2012, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 05:29 PM by Joe Di Cola.)
RE: Member's new book out on October 8
(09-13-2012 05:04 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Congratulations, Joe!

This is wonderful I'm very happy for you -- and I look forward to seeing the "rebuilt" Libby Prison! Yes, these are grand books - I have several of them; it's an excellent series for those who are unfamiliar with them.

Laurie, Devil in the White City is a fantastic read also....

Thanks, Betty,
The "rebuilt" Libby Prison where confectioner Gunther had his great collection was not on the fairgrounds, but on South Wabash Street, closer to downtown. And, although the Thomas Lincoln cabin from Coles County, IL was dismantled and brought to the fair, no one photographed it! So, the book is very short on anything Lincoln.

(09-13-2012 03:52 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Wow, Joe, this looks absolutely wonderful. Kudos on what you have done. Thanks for letting us all know about your book!

Thank you Roger, and for help with the image.

(09-13-2012 04:40 PM)Rsmyth Wrote:  Copngatulations Joe!

Thank you very much.

(09-13-2012 04:54 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Very cool, Joe. Congratulations! Any chance your book has a picture of Thomas Jones unsuccessfully trying to sell his book about his role in Booth's escape?

Thanks, Dave. No pic of Thomas Jones. That was a new piece of information for me. Was he trying to hawk his book outside the fairgrounds? Or did he stroll the grounds trying to sell it? I find this fascinating.

(09-13-2012 05:00 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  We sell some of these Images of America books at Surratt House because they deal with some of our local towns, etc. They are great little works, and I'm really looking forward to reading this one after reading Devil in the White City.

I am glad you are reading "Devil in the White City." My book only has a brief entry on the Holmes crimes, with his mug shots and a diagram of the chambers of horrors at his "hotel." Thanks for your post.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Member's new book out on October 8 - Joe Di Cola - 09-13-2012 05:22 PM