What if Lewis Powell's gun had fired?
09-09-2012, 06:56 PM
RE: What if Lewis Powell's gun had fired?
(09-09-2012 06:36 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Maddie,

You have made excellent points, and your mention of Lincoln possibly forcing the issue by sending supplies to the fort in order to get the State of South Carolina to retaliate is very valid IMO and in the opinion of a number of Lincoln and Civil War experts with whom I have had this discussion - from college classrooms to present.

Also, we need to remember that, prior to the Civil War, many states (including some in the North) did not think of the rights and powers of the Union in the same way that we do today. Many considered themselves sovereign states who could or could not follow federal rules at their discretion. The issue of the right of secession was tested shortly after the Revolutionary War and the establishment of our government. I believe I'm correct that the secession issue first reared its head in northern areas.

It obviously is an issue that still resonates today with some states such as Arizona, that deplore our current handling of certain affairs of state. They will not go to the extreme of seceding, I'm sure; but there's still a questioning of a form of states' rights, IMO.

I don't think any war is ever fair....even the most well intentioned. That is my whole point, going back to the OP... whilst a terrible deed was perpetrated by the conspirators, it was dire times, and harsh actions, and if you are still fighting your perceived good fight, then the assassination, though never condoned, is explainable. Could this deed have been perceived as a defining factor to ending the war?

As Rob pointed out... only if you win.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What if Lewis Powell's gun had fired? - MaddieM - 09-09-2012 06:56 PM