150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair
05-11-2015, 06:35 PM
RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair
(05-11-2015 12:15 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Friday marked the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Lincoln Conspiracy trial. Fort McNair had a commemorative program to mark the occasion which went wonderfully. It was a great time to catch up with old friends and make new ones -

On the way up to MD, Friday afternoon I stopped and took a photo of the new JWB/Garrett Farm marker at Fort A. P. Hill -

The speakers were grand: Mike Kauffman, Barry Cauchon and John Elliott who spoke on the legalities of the military commission, the human interest side of the trial involving the defendants as well as the photographic evidence and finds regarding the executions. I spoke regarding the burials within the arsenal and the conspirators' remains once they were released to the respective families. Kate Larson came as well as Dave Taylor and our own "KateH"....

Joan Chaconas came as Surratt House representative as did Louise Oertly. Josh Murray, who portrayed Powell in the NatGeo Killing Lincoln was also a guest. After the cocktail hour and talks, we made our way over to the trial room and hanging grounds for a wonderful tour by Barry regarding the executions. He had marked the ground with red spray paint to show the exact locations of the death march, the gallows and the burial sites. It made for a fun and inspiring evening!

The Colonel reads the introduction

Mike Kauffman tells about the trial

John Elliott talks about the conspirators

Barry Cauchon gives details about the photographic evidence regarding the Arsenal and the hanging

Photo Session for the Speakers

Barry gives details about the hanging outside during the tour

Josh Murray and KateH

Looks like it was a good time! Wish I could make it.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - Thomas Kearney - 05-11-2015 06:35 PM