Lincoln Discussion Symposium
150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair (/thread-2451.html)

Pages: 1 2

150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - BettyO - 05-11-2015 12:15 PM

Friday marked the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Lincoln Conspiracy trial. Fort McNair had a commemorative program to mark the occasion which went wonderfully. It was a great time to catch up with old friends and make new ones -

On the way up to MD, Friday afternoon I stopped and took a photo of the new JWB/Garrett Farm marker at Fort A. P. Hill -

[attachment=1601]

The speakers were grand: Mike Kauffman, Barry Cauchon and John Elliott who spoke on the legalities of the military commission, the human interest side of the trial involving the defendants as well as the photographic evidence and finds regarding the executions. I spoke regarding the burials within the arsenal and the conspirators' remains once they were released to the respective families. Kate Larson came as well as Dave Taylor and our own "KateH"....

Joan Chaconas came as Surratt House representative as did Louise Oertly. Josh Murray, who portrayed Powell in the NatGeo Killing Lincoln was also a guest. After the cocktail hour and talks, we made our way over to the trial room and hanging grounds for a wonderful tour by Barry regarding the executions. He had marked the ground with red spray paint to show the exact locations of the death march, the gallows and the burial sites. It made for a fun and inspiring evening!

[attachment=1602]
The Colonel reads the introduction

[attachment=1603]
Mike Kauffman tells about the trial

[attachment=1604]
John Elliott talks about the conspirators

[attachment=1605]
Barry Cauchon gives details about the photographic evidence regarding the Arsenal and the hanging

[attachment=1606]
Photo Session for the Speakers

[attachment=1607]
Barry gives details about the hanging outside during the tour

[attachment=1608]
Josh Murray and KateH

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - Eva Elisabeth - 05-11-2015 12:44 PM

Great photos, Betty, sounds like a very interesting event and day!!! I'm glad you had a wonderful time!

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - RJNorton - 05-11-2015 12:51 PM

Thanks for posting, Betty! Wonderful photos, too!

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - barryssentials - 05-11-2015 03:19 PM

Hi all and hello Roger, my long lost friend: Barry here. It has been too long. It was wonderful to see Betty, Dave, Mike, Louise, Kate Cliffard-Larson and her husband Spencer, Lindsey, Susan Lemke from the NDU, Arthur Candenquist and of course John on Friday. At least these were the folks I had a chance to actually have a quick conversation with. I saw, but never had the opportunity to say hi to Joan (hi Joan, sorry I missed you). Our military-based hosts tried to keep to their schedule and so my time was pleasantly regulated (LOL). In other words, they kept me very busy meeting officers and staff and people who helped to make this a reality.

Although the evening event started at 5:30 as a reception, my day started at 10:00am when John and I met to lay out the actual locations of the scaffold, Booth's burial location, the 4 conspirators' and Henry Wirz graves, the exit door from the penitentiary, the 20' high east wall and the Shoe Factory where Alexander Gardner took his famous photos. After six years of intimately living this site in my head and on paper, it was a real thrill for me to actually lay out these locations in their original places. Sometimes your mind plays tricks on you and so I was surprised to see the final locations of the graves when I spray painted them on the ground using chalk spray. Over the years, you get an image in your head as to how close things should be to the tennis court fence. But when I laid the graves out, the 7' long graves which I envisioned to be about 3-4 feet from the fence actually laid out to be 11' from the fence and 8' from the east wall. The math was right but my visual impression must have been skewed. As for the scaffold, it remained almost where I originally plotted it except that about 3' of its 20' width rests not on the tennis court but just outside of the fence line nearest to Grant Hall. Although the heat was in the high 80's that day, John indulged me to get all the measurements I wanted and helped in laying out the markers. It took about 3 hours to do. Thanks John for all your help again.
On Saturday, May 9th, Mike, John and I were there all day for the open house and enjoyed the experience thoroughly. John and Mike split the presentation duties up in the courtroom while I handled the walking tours outside. Four groups of about 45 people each had signed up and were slotted to come in throughout the day from 10 to 4. Again, it was hot but I really had a good time sharing history with all who attended. If you went to this, please give us your impression. I'd like to know.
Everyone have a great day and thanks for listening.
Barry

PS. The folks from Fort McNair/Fort Myers and the NDU were wonderful to us and I want to thank all involved for putting this on and having me there. Thanks again. Barry.

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - GARY POPOLO - 05-11-2015 03:51 PM

(05-11-2015 12:15 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Friday marked the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Lincoln Conspiracy trial. Fort McNair had a commemorative program to mark the occasion which went wonderfully. It was a great time to catch up with old friends and make new ones -

On the way up to MD, Friday afternoon I stopped and took a photo of the new JWB/Garrett Farm marker at Fort A. P. Hill -

The speakers were grand: Mike Kauffman, Barry Cauchon and John Elliott who spoke on the legalities of the military commission, the human interest side of the trial involving the defendants as well as the photographic evidence and finds regarding the executions. I spoke regarding the burials within the arsenal and the conspirators' remains once they were released to the respective families. Kate Larson came as well as Dave Taylor and our own "KateH"....

Joan Chaconas came as Surratt House representative as did Louise Oertly. Josh Murray, who portrayed Powell in the NatGeo Killing Lincoln was also a guest. After the cocktail hour and talks, we made our way over to the trial room and hanging grounds for a wonderful tour by Barry regarding the executions. He had marked the ground with red spray paint to show the exact locations of the death march, the gallows and the burial sites. It made for a fun and inspiring evening!

Barry Cauchon gives details about the photographic evidence regarding the Arsenal and the hanging

Josh Murray and KateH
Great Pictures Betty. Thank you for letting us al enjoy them. Fort McNair was one of the best spots we stopped at during our tour last week. I was trying to picture how the hangings and grave sites were laid out but its hard to do looking at a tennis court. Would have loved t have been there. Joan Chaconas was our guide during our tour. What a wonderful and knowledgeable person. Happy that all had a great time. My best to all. Gary

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - RJNorton - 05-11-2015 04:00 PM

Hi Barry and thank you for such an informative post! I definitely need to alter the image in my head somewhat! I also want to wish you and John the best of luck at the Blue and Gray Education Society program in August (in Washington). I see you are speaking at 3:20 P.M. on August 11. Karen Needles, also a member here, is scheduled to speak right after you. And John will be presenting at Ft. McNair on August 15. This all sounds fascinating, and we all send our very best!

(And a reminder to everyone...Betty is speaking at the Seward House on May 29.)

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - STS Lincolnite - 05-11-2015 05:14 PM

(05-11-2015 03:19 PM)barryssentials Wrote:  Hi all and hello Roger, my long lost friend: Barry here. It has been too long. It was wonderful to see Betty, Dave, Mike, Louise, Kate Cliffard-Larson and her husband Spencer, Lindsey, Susan Lemke from the NDU, Arthur Candenquist and of course John on Friday. At least these were the folks I had a chance to actually have a quick conversation with. I saw, but never had the opportunity to say hi to Joan (hi Joan, sorry I missed you). Our military-based hosts tried to keep to their schedule and so my time was pleasantly regulated (LOL). In other words, they kept me very busy meeting officers and staff and people who helped to make this a reality.

Although the evening event started at 5:30 as a reception, my day started at 10:00am when John and I met to lay out the actual locations of the scaffold, Booth's burial location, the 4 conspirators' and Henry Wirz graves, the exit door from the penitentiary, the 20' high east wall and the Shoe Factory where Alexander Gardner took his famous photos. After six years of intimately living this site in my head and on paper, it was a real thrill for me to actually lay out these locations in their original places. Sometimes your mind plays tricks on you and so I was surprised to see the final locations of the graves when I spray painted them on the ground using chalk spray. Over the years, you get an image in your head as to how close things should be to the tennis court fence. But when I laid the graves out, the 7' long graves which I envisioned to be about 3-4 feet from the fence actually laid out to be 11' from the fence and 8' from the east wall. The math was right but my visual impression must have been skewed. As for the scaffold, it remained almost where I originally plotted it except that about 3' of its 20' width rests not on the tennis court but just outside of the fence line nearest to Grant Hall. Although the heat was in the high 80's that day, John indulged me to get all the measurements I wanted and helped in laying out the markers. It took about 3 hours to do. Thanks John for all your help again.
On Saturday, May 9th, Mike, John and I were there all day for the open house and enjoyed the experience thoroughly. John and Mike split the presentation duties up in the courtroom while I handled the walking tours outside. Four groups of about 45 people each had signed up and were slotted to come in throughout the day from 10 to 4. Again, it was hot but I really had a good time sharing history with all who attended. If you went to this, please give us your impression. I'd like to know.
Everyone have a great day and thanks for listening.
Barry

PS. The folks from Fort McNair/Fort Myers and the NDU were wonderful to us and I want to thank all involved for putting this on and having me there. Thanks again. Barry.

I was at the 10:00 am session on Saturday morning and it was great to catch up with Barry and John and meet Mike Kauffman (albeit briefly) for the first time.

I took some pictures of the layout that Barry and John did for the outside and will post when I get a chance. It really helped to see the measurements and outlines outside to get an idea of the scale. As Barry mentioned when we were talking afterwards, the photographs are great but the distances in them can be deceiving for various reasons.

Thanks to John and Barry for their great presentations! Mr. Kauffman did not speak to my group but I have no doubt his was great as well.

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - LincolnToddFan - 05-11-2015 06:18 PM

Hi Betty...that sounds like a very action packed and amazing time!! Thanks for sharing it all with us!Smile

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - Thomas Kearney - 05-11-2015 06:35 PM

(05-11-2015 12:15 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Friday marked the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Lincoln Conspiracy trial. Fort McNair had a commemorative program to mark the occasion which went wonderfully. It was a great time to catch up with old friends and make new ones -

Josh Murray and KateH

Looks like it was a good time! Wish I could make it.

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - L Verge - 05-11-2015 09:07 PM

(05-11-2015 06:35 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  

Josh Murray and KateH

Looks like it was a good time! Wish I could make it.

You and me both, Thomas. I have been privy to all the hard work that has gone into this restoration and the wonderful contributions that our gang of Boothies have been able to make. When my invitation came and I had to decline because of my mobility problems, it broke my heart! I'm glad that Scott will post some photos of the lay-out.

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - Dave Taylor - 05-12-2015 11:33 AM

(05-11-2015 09:07 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I'm glad that Scott will post some photos of the lay-out...

Kate is also working on a blog post for BoothieBarn about the 150th events on Friday and Saturday. We were both able to join the gang at Fort McNair on Friday night. Then i drove up to Tudor Hall, spent the night there, and attended the Booth family symposium in Bel Air on Saturday. While I was there, Kate returned to Fort McNair. Both events were very well done and I know Kate enjoyed hanging out with Barry, John, Betty and Mike Kauffman. When I called Kate from Tudor Hall, Mike answered her phone (and did not give his name) which confused the heck out of me for a while.

Kate took a ton of pictures of Barry and John's hard work laying out the exact locations of the gallows, burial plots, and Arsenal wall. Hopefully she'll get the blog post up in a day or so.

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - barryssentials - 05-12-2015 11:51 AM

Hi all: As you know, laying out the grounds outside of Grant Hall has been a personal dream of mine for some time. After so many years of having all these measurements and pictures in my head and on scraps of paper, I wanted to finally see them in their original locations at Ft. McNair. I was honored that the folks there believed in me enough to trust that I would place them correctly. With John's help, I believe we did.
My first tour of the day on Saturday was made to be even more enjoyable because Scott joined me and he was able to fill in a few of the historical gaps that I do not specialize in. It was good seeing you again my friend and thank you for all your encouragement and help on that day (and your kind words here too).
I am currently preparing a plan of the layouts for the folks at Ft. McNair so they can recreate them again down the road. When ready, I'll be happy to share it with you folks as well.
Everyone have a great day and I look forward to seeing you all again soon.
Barry

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - BettyO - 05-15-2015 07:04 PM

Wish I could have been with ya'll on Saturday, Barry! Thanks for the wonderful update -

Found this wonderful article online today with some really good photos as well -

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/163357/150-years-later-look-back-lincoln-conspirators-military-tribunal#.VVZ73PlVikp

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - RJNorton - 05-22-2015 05:51 AM

(05-12-2015 11:33 AM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 09:07 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I'm glad that Scott will post some photos of the lay-out...

Kate is also working on a blog post for BoothieBarn about the 150th events on Friday and Saturday. We were both able to join the gang at Fort McNair on Friday night. Then i drove up to Tudor Hall, spent the night there, and attended the Booth family symposium in Bel Air on Saturday. While I was there, Kate returned to Fort McNair. Both events were very well done and I know Kate enjoyed hanging out with Barry, John, Betty and Mike Kauffman. When I called Kate from Tudor Hall, Mike answered her phone (and did not give his name) which confused the heck out of me for a while.

Kate took a ton of pictures of Barry and John's hard work laying out the exact locations of the gallows, burial plots, and Arsenal wall. Hopefully she'll get the blog post up in a day or so.

It's up! Please go here.

RE: 150th Anniversary of Lincoln Conspiracy Trial - Fort McNair - BettyO - 05-22-2015 06:33 AM

Great job! We are now working to "set dress" the courtroom room (i.e. "evidence" on the evidence table; period newspapers, books, writing materials, etc. to make it appear much as it did in 1865 - Lots of fun!!