Skull of Civil War Soldier to be Auctioned
06-08-2014, 10:58 PM
RE: Skull of Civil War Soldier to be Auctioned
(06-08-2014 05:21 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I believe the embalmer of President Lincoln was a man named Henry P. Cattell. He worked for the firm of Brown & Alexander. He was the same man who had embalmed Willie back in 1862. Cattell said he used 'chroride of zinc' in the embalming process. I believe Charles Brown (of Brown and Alexander) and an undertaker named Frank Sands rode the funeral train and worked on the president's remains throughout the journey in an attempt to make them look in proper condition in each city along the route.

That's right Roger. By the time the remains reached NYC on April 26th, 11 days after AL's death, his disappearance had deteriorated to the point that the NY Times reported it was "distressing" to view him.

I think at that point the coffin should have remained permanently closed, but the crowds wanted a last look at AL so that was that.

The one photo that exists of Lincoln in death was taken in NY. He looked okay to me...almost preternaturally peaceful in fact.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Skull of Civil War Soldier to be Auctioned - LincolnToddFan - 06-08-2014 10:58 PM