Presidents and First Ladies Trivia
04-17-2018, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2018 04:35 PM by AussieMick.)
RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia
John Q. Adams, William Harrison, and Zachary Taylor ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2018, 05:20 PM
You get an A+ Michael. Kudos. The bodies of William Henry Harrison, John Quincy Adams, and Zachary Taylor were temporarily stored here.
04-18-2018, 02:27 PM
Which President would invite prominent people to his home, take them for a walk around his property, ask them place their hands around the trunk of a tree, and then name the tree after that particular person?
04-19-2018, 04:41 AM
This was a tough one, and I cannot think of any good clues. The answer is Rutherford B. Hayes, and I came across Hayes' habit in Brady Carlson's "Dead Presidents."
06-23-2018, 07:43 AM
I hope it's OK I post this here because it is not more US /Lincoln related than the intro, but it's a fun piece of trivia with an interesting background I think you will enjoy.

Lincoln has been the only US president so far to hold a patient.
One German head of state was quite inventive, too, holding even two patients, one of which was granted in Austria (and UK) because of the basic "different" German understanding of the matter of his invention.

Any idea?
06-23-2018, 08:39 AM
Otto von Bismarck?
06-23-2018, 10:27 AM
I'm sorry not he, Roger, yet in some way a good direction.

Please try to guess all-you-can as for
a) who
b) what it was?!
Hint: Yes/no questions to approach very welcome!
06-23-2018, 10:41 AM
I really have no idea, but I shall guess again.

Paul von Hindenburg and some kind of military-related patents?
06-23-2018, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2018 01:36 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Nope, I am sorry not.
Hint #1: Your first guess (Bismarck) nailed the office.
Hint #2: It has to do with "THE" German national kind of food.
06-23-2018, 02:21 PM
I remember you once posted about Willy Brandt here.

Could it be him?
06-23-2018, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2018 05:14 PM by AussieMick.)
It was ( I think) Konrad Adenauer.

I also thought of Von Bismark. A fascinating man. Great quotes.
I did try searching on Chancellor and German and Patent. Nope. I thought of Kohl and even Merkel (being a scientist). Didnt think of Willy Brandt. I did try Adenauer but without luck and wasnt very confident anyway, associating him with post war Europe.

When you mentioned 'national food' I got it. Sausages. Adenauer invented a non-meat sausage to help with the shortages of food in WW1. But are you sure he got a German patent ??? The fact that it contained no meat, according to one website, prevented it in Germany. I think (ironically) he got a UK one.
06-23-2018, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2018 07:44 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Well done, everyone. Yes, the sausage was the goal. (The Notzeitbrot btw. was the Confederate kind of - corn meal). 
Yes, legend has it German bureaucracy denied a meatless sausage as a sausage has to contain meat...and I am sorry if my intro wasn't clear - no German but a UK (by King George V) and Austrian patent for the Wurst, plus a Swiss, Dutch, Belgium and Danish.

The background that led to this "invention" is quite interesting: 

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproje...-world-war

So - God save the pig!
07-31-2018, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2018 03:39 PM by L Verge.)
Which U.S. President had mismatched eyes -- one eye was blue and one eye was hazel? Addendum: Another source says one was brown and the other hazel...
07-31-2018, 03:39 PM
This trivia question used to occasionally come up in class during my teaching days. I think it was James Buchanan. Max Scherzer, whom I wish the Cubs had, has this condition (two different-colored eyes).
07-31-2018, 03:50 PM
(07-31-2018 03:39 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  This trivia question used to occasionally come up in class during my teaching days. I think it was James Buchanan. Max Scherzer, whom I wish the Cubs had, has this condition (two different-colored eyes).

The retired teacher gets an A+ on this one. He also had another type of eye problem that made him lean forward and tilt his head at an angle in order to see correctly. When I get home to a book I'm reading, I'll get a further description.

God bless, Max Scherzer! I just heard this morning that the Nats are thinking of trading Bryce Harper!!! Maybe the Cubs will get him?