Presidents and First Ladies Trivia
08-08-2015, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2015 10:11 PM by Anita.)
RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia
Edith Wilson and Nancy Reagan are direct descendants of Pocahontas.

Jackie Kennedy won an Emmy.

Pat Nixon first to wear slacks in public. ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Congratulations, Anita. You will receive a free tour of the White House - if they ever open it for regular tours again.

PS: Thanks for correcting my spelling of Pocahontas. I just realized that my fingers transposed an o and a. I really do know how to spell it....
08-09-2015, 03:14 PM
I haven't toured the White House, not that I haven't tried. Wrote to my Congress reps for tickets to no avail. I have a better chance
with your prize. Thanks.

As for misspelling Pocahontas, I thought your version had a nice Spanish ring to it!
08-10-2015, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2015 12:25 AM by LincolnToddFan.)
Anita, I'm surprised you haven't visited the WH world traveler that you are, lady!

I visited when I was about 7 or 8. I was awed by the grandeur of it all, especially the East Room and the Blue Room. The rooms were just a few years past Jacqueline Kennedy's Restoration and it was all very beautiful to me.

I couldn't stop talking about it for weeks. My friends were very annoyed!
08-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Lucky you, Toia - I'd love to see it but it has become near impossible for non-citizens since 9/11.
08-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Eva E...that makes me so sad. You would love seeing it!
08-11-2015, 02:38 PM
(08-10-2015 01:42 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Lucky you, Toia - I'd love to see it but it has become near impossible for non-citizens since 9/11.

It is equally as hard for citizens, Eva. It occasionally opens up briefly for photo ops - mainly with Mrs. Obama and selected children's groups.
08-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Eva, I kick myself for never going into the WH mansion when my little company was one of their marketing contractors for three administrations. My business partner and I would sometimes get invited to something being spotlighted at a Rose Garden ceremony but we'd never go, and my wife and kids went to some of the Easter Egg rolls, but I never stepped foot in the mansion.

I've been in the tunnel under it and overlooked it when at meetings in the Old Exec Office building, which is beautiful.

Oh, well.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
08-11-2015, 03:36 PM
(08-11-2015 02:38 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 01:42 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Lucky you, Toia - I'd love to see it but it has become near impossible for non-citizens since 9/11.

It is equally as hard for citizens, Eva. It occasionally opens up briefly for photo ops - mainly with Mrs. Obama and selected children's groups.

I wonder why they've made it so difficult? Maybe when they had those two security breaches recently they went on lockdown.That's such a shame. I wish that everyone could appreciate the beauty of this lovely old historic building,

Do they still sell the Guidebook JBK put together?
08-11-2015, 05:24 PM
(08-11-2015 03:36 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 02:38 PM)L Verge Wrote:  

I wonder why they've made it so difficult? Maybe when they had those two security breaches recently they went on lockdown.That's such a shame. I wish that everyone could appreciate the beauty of this lovely old historic building,

Do they still sell the Guidebook JBK put together?

They discontinued tours there a few years ago under the claim that it was a cost reducing plan, I believe. Much of the gift shop material is now sold through the White House Historical Association, which is based on Lafayette Square.
08-11-2015, 07:09 PM
Laurie, have you toured it? Has anyone else except Toia?
08-11-2015, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 08:07 PM by L Verge.)
I have been on tour there a number of times over the years. It is lovely. We used to take bus tours from Surratt House at Christmas time to see it decorated for the holidays - absolutely spectacular. I have always meant to buy William Seale's book on the history of the White House.

I started second-guessing myself and decided to double-check the tour situation at the White House. It is open for tours on a limited basis and under special request policies. Go here for details: https://www.whitehouse.gov/participate/tours-and-events Eva, you will have to contact the German Embassy.
08-12-2015, 04:46 AM
I did prior to the trip in March and received the reply "not possible for an indefinite period of time".

To see the Whit House in Christmas outfit - sounds gorgeous!
08-15-2015, 04:41 PM
This boy grew up to be President. Who is he?

[Image: whoarethisboy.jpg]
08-15-2015, 05:00 PM
William McKinley ?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?