06-11-2013, 02:23 PM
RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia
Which First Lady said:

"In contrast to my husband, I can pronounce the word 'nuclear'?"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 02:39 PM
I'll guess that Rosalynn Carter said this?
06-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Laura Bush

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
06-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Joe is right. Ausgezeichnet. Very good.
06-16-2013, 10:43 AM
150 years before his presidency, one president's grand-grand-grand-grandfather emmigrated from the Irish village Moneygall to America .
Whose?
06-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Reagan
06-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Good guess, but, sorry, not him.
06-16-2013, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2013 11:28 AM by L Verge.)
Either Kennedy or Clinton?

Scratch that - I'm changing my answer to Obama; I forgot about his mother's side of the family tree.
06-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Kudos, Laurie. Two years ago he visited a relative, Henry Healy, who is still living in that village.
06-19-2013, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2013 08:43 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Just for fun - todays trivia task:
What is Mr Obama going to say today? Translate the speech bubbles!

(Wow, I didn't know that attachments appear in the post!)

Here are some hints:
One refers to a Kennedy quote, another to Ronald Reagan's appeal to M. Gorbachev at Brandenburg gate on June 12, 1987 ("Open this gate"), and permanent delay of finishing construction of an expensive new airport. Berliner is also a kind of donut. Schlaand is a nickname for Germany and one speech bubble means "I know what you did on facebook yesterday".

(It's not the kind of newspaper I read!!)
06-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Eva, I think the Kennedy quote is "I am a Berliner."
06-19-2013, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2013 10:46 AM by Joe Di Cola.)
Eva,

The Reagan quote is "...tear down this wall." The humorous thing about the Kennedy quote is that, by putting in the article 'ein' he referred to himself as a jelly donut. This does not take anything away from the power of the moment, because the people responded enthusiastically.

Joe
06-19-2013, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2013 01:03 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
First of all: None of these puns is disrespectful, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

Roger and Joe, you are great! I didn't expect anyone would reply to this! Thank you! Your prize is a big box of Berliner -they are delicious!

Joe, the "ein" makes no difference, I really don't think anyone had a donut in mind when Kennedy said this. The Obama speech bubble is the first pun on this, he actually says: "I like to eat Berliner".

I really like the Reagan quote. First because a lot of my income taxes vanished in that nonsense airport project and second because the original quote is one of the most significant in this country's history. The entire quote goes like this:
"General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperty for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
This quote easily keeps up with Lincoln's quotes!
06-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Which First Lady wrote the following?

"It was always, music in my ears, both before & after our marriage, when my husband, told me, that I was the only one, he had ever thought of, or cared for."
06-20-2013, 02:29 PM
(06-20-2013 01:15 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Which First Lady wrote the following?

"It was always, music in my ears, both before & after our marriage, when my husband, told me, that I was the only one, he had ever thought of, or cared for."

There are several similar comments written by Mary Lincoln, but I can not find the "music to my ears" part of the quote.