The Parson Wilmer "Myth"
06-02-2013, 08:53 PM
The Parson Wilmer "Myth"
Is there any evidence that Booth or Herold knew this Parson Wilmer at Piney Church? Is it more likely that Dr Mudd made this up or is it possible that Booth and or Herold really did tell Mudd that's where they were headed? I know the ended up at Oswell Swanns. I seem to be hearing both versions. Someone set me straight here for my own good. Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2013, 12:47 PM
RE: The Parson Wilmer "Myth"
Parson Lemuel Wilmer was well-known in Southern Maryland as one of the few Union people. He even had a commission as a chaplain for U.S. troops. He refused to vacate his pulpit and position when asked to by his Southern brethren and continued to preach when there were only two or three in the congregation. He never left Piney Church and is buried in its churchyard.

The reason for me saying this is that, I suspect, Booth, Herold, and certainly Mudd knew all about him being pro-Union and used his name to either get him in trouble (insinuating that he helped the fugitives) or to throw the search parties off as to where the pair were headed.
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Sounds like the preacher had a lot of grit.

Bill Nash
06-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Rev. Wilmer is a LEGEND in this area - not a myth. And St. Paul's Piney (it's real name) looks very much like it did in 1865.
06-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Myth was a term I heard from someone else who believed that Mudd panicked and made up the whole story of Booth and Herold asking for directions to Wilmer. I was trying to figure out if it was possible that they in fact did not know who he was at all. You seem to be suggesting (and you would know) that they at least had knowledge of him by reputation. I can see how the Mudd family would want to put this all off on the assassins to further distance Sam from the conspiracy. I just think its a great part of the story that Im new to and Im just trying to sort it out. Thanks for the insight as always.Big Grin
06-03-2013, 06:09 PM
David, I suspect that if the Parson had been anything other than an Episcopal priest, they might have found his body in Zekiah Swamp at some point during the war! I have always had the feeling that he was admired and hated at the same time.