US Military Posts named for Confederate generals
05-29-2013, 05:46 PM
US Military Posts named for Confederate generals
Alright all you $^&&%$#@ Yankees, read this and comment!
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opinio...honor.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2013, 06:02 PM
RE: US Military Posts named for Confederate generals
Well, can't say as I agree with the author, but then the NY Times is frequently too liberal for my taste.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Another example of why our country will never heal from its wounds of the Civil War.
05-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Well, speaking as a $^&&%$#@ Yankee, I think this is much ado about nothing on the part of the columnist. I would hazard a guess that most people who serve on those bases would have no idea who Bragg or Gordon was anymore than someone who served at Fort Ord would know who Edward Ord was.

That said, I have a hard time getting too excited about the column.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
05-29-2013, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2013 07:59 PM by J. Beckert.)
I intended to respond and have a chuckle with you, Bill, but after reading the article, I feel nothing but disgust. I wouldn't line a parakeet cage with that Commie rag. More touchy feely political correctness. It was very disrespectful, in my opinion. Deo Vindice, you crotchety old mule shoer!!

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
05-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Good lord, I am so happy to see friendly Yankees agreeing that this column was uncalled for and disrespectful - especially on Memorial Day. And Rob, you are absolutely correct that few soldiers on those bases even know the names -- and they are more concerned with fighting today's enemies than reliving the Civil War.
05-29-2013, 08:29 PM
(05-29-2013 08:24 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Good lord, I am so happy to see friendly Yankees agreeing that this column was uncalled for and disrespectful - especially on Memorial Day. And Rob, you are absolutely correct that few soldiers on those bases even know the names -- and they are more concerned with fighting today's enemies than reliving the Civil War.

Y'all are changing me. Something happened when I went down South....

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
05-29-2013, 08:37 PM
There's a secret ingredient in Moon Pies known only to those south of the Mason-Dixon Line. When combined with Yuengling, it achieves wonderful things!
05-29-2013, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2013 10:23 PM by J. Beckert.)
Whoa. I didn't know that. So you and the red head doped me all up down there so I'd start thinking all Rebel like? Well slap the dog and spit in the fire!

05-30-2013, 07:58 AM
I did my Army basic training at Ft. Polk. I didn't care who the base the named for- and still don't. My only concern was not being killed by the Drill Instructor!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2013, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 08:15 AM by JMadonna.)
Obviously the U.S. military likes to train their soldiers in the South and to ease the pain of 'yankee occupation' the forts were named after famous southerners. Can you imagine a Fort Sherman based in Georgia?

BTW how many remember when Memorial Day was called Decoration Day?
05-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Jerry - Again, I'm the old lady of this crew; but I do remember that it was always called Decoration Day in my family. It was also the day that required the gathering of peonies and Sweet William for the graves.
05-30-2013, 11:28 AM
I remember it as Decoration Day too.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2013, 11:33 AM
(05-30-2013 10:33 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Jerry - Again, I'm the old lady of this crew; but I do remember that it was always called Decoration Day in my family. It was also the day that required the gathering of peonies and Sweet William for the graves.

Not just decorating the veterans but other family graves too. It was the day to make sure the gravestones were not leaning. Of course after the end of WWII it was much more than a 3 day weekend for furniture sales.
05-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Yes,I remember Decoration Day and Forts-Dix and Custer!