Ford's picture
04-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Ford's picture
Attached is a print that I just made including the Brady picture of the Presidential Box at Ford's after the assassination along with the same view that Eric of the NPS at Ford's was kind enough to let me go into the former family circle and take during last week's Surratt Tour. The text is from Lincoln's speech at Independence Hall on February 22, 1861 and is condensed to say:

It was that sentiment in the Declaration of Independence which gave promise that in due time the weight would be lifted from the shoulders of all men. Now, my friends, can this country be saved upon that basis? If it can, I will consider myself one of the happiest men in the world if I can help to save it. If it can't be saved upon that principle, it will be truly awful. But, if this country cannot be saved without giving up that principle--- I would rather be assassinated on this spot than to surrender it.

I was looking for the actual document of the speech in Lincoln's hand, but it sadly seems that this does not exist (the text comes from newspaper accounts.) What I WAS able to find was this great font created by someone where you can type text and have it transformed into Lincoln's handwriting. It works great and just gets added to the fonts already in you email or texting programs.

Finally, if you are interested in getting one of these prints, I will be happy to make them for cost as time permits (I've actually gotten pretty good at beveling mat board!) I enjoy making them and made another one yesterday that includes the last portion of Lincoln's 2nd Innaugural Address along with the famous picture of that and one I took from the exact spot at the Capitol last weekend. I gave that one to my brother.

I think the frame and pictures cost me about $30. I'd be happy to make one for anyone that would like one.

Heath
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2013, 05:35 PM
RE: Ford's picture
Thanks for this link, it's just splendid.
Find all posts by this user
04-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Heath,

Please add Surratt House to your list of clients. E-mail me an invoice at laurie.verge@pgparks.com. Thank you so much for doing this.
04-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Heath, we are going to keep you busy. Please add me to the list.
05-03-2013, 05:44 PM
I have just received my limited edition framed Heath/Brady/Lincoln print and it looks absolutely great. This is such a great example of everything about this website. It is a great intellectual exchange of information that leads to great friendships. I have enjoyed meeting face to face, so many people on the Symposium and having the opportunity to share. In particular, a couple of weeks ago, being able to break free and meet up with Heath and Josh down at Ford's.

Heath and Josh are terrific "newbies" who blend right in and show great interest and insight. The are the type of people that not only make this blog great, but make this world a better place.

Thank you so much Heath, and thank you Roger Norton for providing a great place for all here to meet.
05-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Surratt House just received their framed print today also. It is very professionally done, and thank you so much Heath for donating your handiwork to the museum. We have another Booth Tour tomorrow, and I left the item in my office for all to see as they check in at 7 am.
05-03-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm very glad y'all like them and hope Roger receives his by tomorrow.
Heath
05-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Heath, it arrived, and it is stunning. As Laurie says it is very professionally done and will look wonderful in our home. Sebastiao Albano, if you are reading this in Brazil, it's going next to your beautiful sketch of Abraham Lincoln. Thank you so much, Heath.