Lincoln vs Booth mano a mano
04-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Lincoln vs Booth mano a mano
I was thinking the other day on the anniversary what would have been the outcome if Booth's derringer had misfired (not an unlikely occurrence).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2013, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 08:45 PM by GARY POPOLO.)
RE: Lincoln vs Booth mano a mano
Good Question smbovard. I am sure that a lot of people have pondered that same question. Myself I think the out come would have been the same. Even if his pistol had not fired JWB still had his knife and the element of surprize. JWB would have had time to pull his knife and do the deed. The reason I say that is because if the pistol did misfire there would have been no real noise that would have been heard to alert Major Rathbone to come to the Presidents aid. At least that is my thinking. Best Gary P.
04-21-2013, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 08:52 PM by Jenny.)
Ignoring the factor of the women and Rathbone in the box, I think Booth was probably so full of adrenalin that he would have wounded Lincoln badly if not to the death with his knife. Even if Rathbone and Lincoln had managed to subdue Booth, I think Wilkes would certainly have done some MAJOR damage to them because he had the element of surprise, the adrenalin, and the rage in his favor.
If you mean Lincoln and Booth in a boxing ring with boxing gloves as the title of the thread seems to imply, then Lincoln would probably win. Tongue
04-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Shows the bravado. JWB enters Ford's, packed to capacity, arm with only a single shot pistol and a knife! He was 100% confident in the outcome.
04-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Steve, there are folks who feel Lincoln was armed with a pistol that night. I hope there will be a published article on this topic sometime in the next few years. Possibly this would have effected the scenario you asked about and maybe not, too. I don't know.
04-22-2013, 11:17 AM
If, and only if, Lincoln saw a man threatening both him and Mary, the "rail splitter of the west" would have probably jumped to attention. Even at 56, Lincoln was still incredibly strong. Then there’s the height advantage, Lincoln being 6’4 and Booth being 5’8. Should Lincoln have noticed Booth and turned around before he could draw the knife, Booth probably would have been knocked into the next continent.
04-22-2013, 12:11 PM
The Kundhardt's speculated that Lincoln caught a glimpse of someone behind him and turned his head sharply to the left. They stated this explained the diagonal track of the ball.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
04-22-2013, 02:12 PM
(04-22-2013 12:11 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  The Kundhardt's speculated that Lincoln caught a glimpse of someone behind him and turned his head sharply to the left. They stated this explained the diagonal track of the ball.

Yes, I heard that too. I don't know where I read it, but I seem to recall that General Burnside caught Lincoln's attention. The General was either coming to his seat or leaving-and Lincoln turned his head noticing him.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Just speculating...could the angle also be explained if Mike Kauffman and others are correct in saying Booth entered the box from door 8? Thus, JWB approached the president from an angle and not from directly behind had he entered from door 7.
04-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Wouldn't that put him to Lincoln's right?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
04-22-2013, 02:33 PM
You're absolutely right, Joe. What I speculated wouldn't make sense with a near-left-ear entry. In fact, as I picture it now, Lincoln must have really had his head turned if Booth were coming from door 8.
04-22-2013, 03:30 PM
I think somewhere I read that upon seeing Booth appear for the second time, Rathbone stood to ask him his business. This would also catch Lincoln's attention. Does anyone else recall that? I know I read that Clara Harris said about one hour before, Booth appeared at the door and made everyone uncomfortable by peering in.

04-22-2013, 04:18 PM
There was an interview Clara Harris did with correspondent Emily Pomona Edson Briggs which was published in the Philadelphia Weekly Times on December 29th 1878. I have seen bits and pieces of that interview (such as the part where she says Laura Keene was never in the box) but never the entire text. If anyone has that article and can post it I would be most appreciative.
04-22-2013, 04:18 PM
I think that Booth would have gone for Lincoln anyways, but might not have killed him, because if you think about it, after the initial stab (insinuating that Booth did not get a quality stab off), Abraham and/or the three others might have reacted and captured Booth, plus I don't think Booth would have had enough time to stab Lincoln more than three times before one of the three others in attendance got to him.
04-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Booth probably had the knife in hand when he pulled the trigger. He was probably prepared for a misfire. We know he slashed Rathbone with-in a second or two from the shot. He must have been holding the knife all along.

I am sure there would have been a slight pause to register the misfire but the end reult would be the same except Boothh may not have escaped Rathbone.