Booths gun
02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Booths gun
Looking for an answer to a couple of questions. First is there a model number for Booths Derringer? How many were made and do any of the same model exist today?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2013, 02:32 PM
RE: Booths gun
Where's Wes Harris? He's the gun expert.
Find all posts by this user
02-08-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't believe any of the Derringers had model numbers, including the one owned by Booth. However, I am not an expert either.

Bill Nash
02-08-2013, 04:01 PM
There's no model number and no serial number.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
02-08-2013, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 04:52 PM by LincolnMan.)
I believe the weapon at Ford's had some damage to it? But it isn't known how it occured-possible when Booth tossed it down in the box?

Bill Nash
02-08-2013, 04:51 PM
(02-08-2013 04:37 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I believe the weapon at Ford's had some damage to it? But it isn't known how it occured-poosible when Booth tossed it down in the box?

Bill, it's probably from spending days on end with 2nd graders, but that typo really made me laugh.

Regarding your question, yes the derringer was damaged. This picture shows the damage near the barrel:
[Image: booths-derringer.jpg?w=800]

Wes will know better the history of the weapon and how the damage could have occurred, but as you say, anything's poosible.
02-08-2013, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 04:55 PM by LincolnMan.)
(02-08-2013 02:32 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Where's Wes Harris? He's the gun expert.

Laurie: Are you guys being hit by the storm? My part of Michigan got about 6 inhes but it's over for us.

(02-08-2013 04:51 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 04:37 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I believe the weapon at Ford's had some damage to it? But it isn't known how it occured-poosible when Booth tossed it down in the box?

Bill, it's probably from spending days on end with 2nd graders, but that typo really made me laugh.

Regarding your question, yes the derringer was damaged. This picture shows the damage near the barrel:
[Image: booths-derringer.jpg?w=800]

Wes will know better the history of the weapon and how the damage could have occurred, but as you say, anything's poosible.

Dave: That is too funny. You can see I corrected it! Probably because my daughter just dropped off her two dogs at our house for the weekend while she takes a little trip to Traverse City. Maybe I had dog poo on my mind. Anyway, nice picture. Yes, the weapon is damaged!

Bill Nash
02-08-2013, 05:07 PM
No model number, no serial number. Since each Henry Deringer (one 'r') pistol was handmade, each had its own variations. Even the bullet mold had to be made specifically to match the barrel for each pistol. I've seen some Deringers that were very close to Booth's pistol but never one that was completely identical.
02-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Bill,

Nary a snowflake is predicted in Southern Maryland, but Baltimore and points west and north are getting some accumulation. We have rain and drizzle, and I hope it stays that way. I went to college in the mountains of Maryland where it snowed from October through the first of April, and the wind blew constantly. No one is ever getting me back in the land of ice and snow.
02-08-2013, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 06:47 PM by Jim Garrett.)
(02-08-2013 05:31 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Bill,

Nary a snowflake is predicted in Southern Maryland, but Baltimore and points west and north are getting some accumulation. We have rain and drizzle, and I hope it stays that way. I went to college in the mountains of Maryland where it snowed from October through the first of April, and the wind blew constantly. No one is ever getting me back in the land of ice and snow.

I was in Grttysburg and Carlisle this afternoon and it was lightly snowing. The state plows were all along Route 15.

If I remember, Henry Deringer was very innovative. Wes is correct. Each one is different and Deringer made alot of pistols and there were a number of copies. Deringer was always trying the latest technology. The Booth deringer has a rifled barrel, which is useless with such a short barrel and also useless with a round ball.

I went to the Gettysburg Civil War show and sale this past July and there were probably 15 deringers for sale, all different calibers, ranging from about $2000 and up.
02-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Jim: were Baby Derringers like the one Booth had?

Bill Nash
02-08-2013, 08:07 PM
For those who are familiar with guns, I used to own a two-shot Remington .38 Special derringer. It was by far the most inaccurate firearm I've ever handled. Anything further than five or six feet was beyond its range.

As the old saying goes, with that gun, you couldn't hit the side of a barn if you were standing in it.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
02-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Laurie:glad to hear you're area is okay weather-wise.
Jim: even though Booth fired the shot from what-four feet from Lincoln's head? - it sounds like with the inaccuracy of the Derringer-he could have missed the shot fairly easily.

Bill Nash
02-08-2013, 08:32 PM
(02-08-2013 08:23 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Laurie:glad to hear you're area is okay weather-wise.
Jim: even though Booth fired the shot from what-four feet from Lincoln's head? - it sounds like with the inaccuracy of the Derringer-he could have missed the shot fairly easily.

I have always thought that the gun was about 18 inches to 2 feet. As far as a baby deringer, I saw a .32 caliber this summer. Mucg smaller, but basically exactly like the "Booth" pistol.
02-08-2013, 09:25 PM
(02-08-2013 08:23 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Jim: even though Booth fired the shot from what-four feet from Lincoln's head? - it sounds like with the inaccuracy of the Derringer-he could have missed the shot fairly easily.

Bill, I've ofter wondered about that, after shooting that derringer I had. Those guns aren't natural pointers, due to their size, and they're wildly inaccurate.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/