Hurricane Sandy
10-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Hurricane Sandy
As I write this I know a lot of members of this forum live in the path of Hurricane Sandy. I pray that either the storm swings out to sea or if not, it's not as bad as predicted. All our thoughts are with you folks who live in the area expected to be impacted by the storm. We are thinking of you and hoping for the best outcome possible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2012, 05:13 PM
RE: Hurricane Sandy
It's 5 pm on Saturday afternoon, and everything is literally the quiet before the storm here in the D.C. area. Many of my colorful leaves are now on the ground, but there is absolutely no wind at all. Even the birds, who are usually making a racket this time of the evening, are silent.

If the storm stays on its current path to hit the Delaware Shore, it will hit about 125 miles from me, but I think there are quite a few other friends of this forum who will be as close or closer. I hope all will be well for everyone as we duck and cover. Mother Nature has gotten on my nerves a bit over the past few years...
10-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Hope all who are in its path remain safe.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
10-28-2012, 02:48 PM
I am ready,and glad it is not Snow!-So bring it on!
10-28-2012, 03:47 PM
I will have all of you that are in harm's way in my thoughts and prayers. They are even talking about the nstorm reaching the Ohio River Valley.

Keep safe!!

Joe
10-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Stay safe everyone! I went outside a few minutes ago. We are getting wind gusts from the extreme outer belt of the storm here in N.C.

Craig
10-28-2012, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2012 06:16 PM by BettyO.)
(10-28-2012 02:48 PM)HerbS Wrote:  I am ready,and glad it is not Snow!-So bring it on!

Herb -- I LOVE snow and would gladly take that anyday over a hurricanes or tornadoes!!

No rain yet, here in Hanover, VA - but the wind is picking up and just about everything in the City of Richmond (12 miles away) is closed tomorrow. I'm staying home myself....

I pray that all of our friends in MD, NJ, NY, Delaware, CT and the other states are safe and sound and that this blows out to sea!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-28-2012, 07:22 PM
(10-28-2012 06:14 PM)BettyO Wrote:  I pray that all of our friends in MD, NJ, NY, Delaware, CT and the other states are safe and sound and that this blows out to sea!

They're still calling for a direct hit somewhere here in this area ...
10-28-2012, 08:43 PM
The federal government in D.C. just closed down for Monday as has all public transportation, and we're not supposed to get the direct hit. Duck and cover everyone.
10-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Have we ever seen one this bad?

Bill Nash
10-28-2012, 10:08 PM
(10-28-2012 08:44 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Have we ever seen one this bad?

The Level 4 evacuation zone in my town is less than a mile from my house.

From the Wall Street Journal

HARTFORD, Conn.–High winds are expected to create a record-breaking surge of water in the Long Island Sound that threatens to flood the homes of more than 300,000 residents in the state, Gov. Dannel Malloy said Sunday night.

Winds are expected to pick up by midnight Sunday in Connecticut and were expected to continue for over the next 36 hours, Malloy said. Those winds were expected to reach 40 to 60 miles per hour with gusts of up to 80 miles per hour, he said.

Those strong winds were expected to produce an unprecedented surge of water in the Long Island Sound ranging from seven to 10 feet, Mr. Malloy said. Tropical Storm Irene only produced a four-foot surge, he said. There will be four high tides during the 36-hour storm period, and the last one late Monday night is expected to cause the most damage, he said.

“The last time we saw anything like this was never,” Malloy said.

“This is not a joke. This is a real warning of possible death as a result of drowning,” he said. “This is the largest threat to human life our state has experienced in anyone’s lifetime.”
10-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Oh Linda-our hearts are out to you. Please keep us posted.

Bill Nash
10-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Yes, Linda! Be safe!
10-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Thank you both for your concern. It's really hard to imagine such devastation happening tomorrow when it is so quiet now.

I know we will lose electricity and cable service but I'll try to find a way to let you all know how we are doing.

I hope everyone gets through this safely.