Woman Triggered by Hobby Lobby Display
09-22-2017, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2017 08:36 PM by Darrell.)
Woman Triggered by Hobby Lobby Display
Apparently, its not just Confederate flags and monuments that cause offense. Huh

https://legalinsurrection.com/2017/09/wo...e-removed/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2017, 03:23 AM
RE: Woman Triggered by Hobby Lobby Display
I don't understand the reasoning behind this woman's objections to the decorative vase display at all. A local TV station interviewed her about views and subsequent social media reaction to her facebook post:

http://www.kcentv.com/article/news/local.../477417951

Unfortunately, she has now gotten death threats and been called racial slurs which is completely outrageous and unacceptable no matter how illogical one may find her request.

If you want to find out more about the "farmhouse chic" decor style in question:

http://porch.com/advice/8-chic-farmhouse...s-to-copy/
09-23-2017, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2017 09:27 AM by Gene C.)
Some people find pleasure in finding something to complain about rather than finding pleasure in putting forth the effort towards real solutions.
Which provides a more lasting personal pleasure and helps lift other people up?

This news article and the actions of this young lady are "me" centered.
I'd better stop now before I slip off my soap box.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-23-2017, 10:05 AM
If this were not so disturbing, I would be laughing. Why? Last week, we received a catalog at the museum from a company that we occasionally buy artificial flowers from. A number of their new offerings were based around cotton bolls worked into wreaths, branches displayed in arrangements, etc. I thought to myself at the time that they were asking for trouble given the craziness of this country right now.
09-23-2017, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2017 01:14 PM by Darrell.)
This incident reminds me of the 1992 book "A Nation of Victims" by Charles Sykes. One of his main points was that - instead of engaging in respectful and serious debate - Americans increasingly express their viewpoints based solely on their status as "victims." Sadly, it seems that our culture has only continued further down that path.
09-23-2017, 02:59 PM
And it certainly seems now that those who know the least about history and who were never "victims" tend to scream the loudest...

At work, I am currently involved in a county-wide initiative to develop a heritage trail based on the post-Civil War civil rights movements. I am starting to really feel my age because I was raised in the segregated State of Maryland, went to segregated schools, watched the crucial movements of the 1950s-1970s, watched federal troops integrate schools farther south, graduated from an all-white college (in an area that had only one black family and was so cold that it was not popular with those who preferred warmer climates), began my teaching career the same year that Maryland began desegregation (which did not go as originally designed), and got married and out of the teaching field just as the federal judge imposed forced busing of students in order to meet the goals of desegregation. That did not go over well with either side of the fence.

I should also add that I was raised in a family who ran the village's country store where all races came together, not just to buy, but to sit and chat. From my earliest days, I remember black folk sitting around the pot-belly stove, eating sardines, spitting tobacco juice, and talking baseball with my uncle. Years ago, I found my grandfather's ledgers from the store and saw a large number of unpaid bills during the Depression era. I recognized many of the names, and my mother explained that her father extended a lot of credit in those days because he could not stand the thought of children going hungry. My father was also career military, which desegregated early, and was friends with and had respect for many of his fellow soldiers.

Through it all, I do not remember the sheer stupidity of what is going on now. There was a real purpose with achievable goals in the 20th century - despite the time it took to achieve those goals. Right now, I suspect many have become blind sheep following the big, bad wolf who is sending them and our society over a dangerous cliff.
09-27-2017, 12:17 AM
(09-23-2017 02:59 PM)L Verge Wrote:  And it certainly seems now that those who know the least about history and who were never "victims" tend to scream the loudest...

At work, I am currently involved in a county-wide initiative to develop a heritage trail based on the post-Civil War civil rights movements. I am starting to really feel my age because I was raised in the segregated State of Maryland, went to segregated schools, watched the crucial movements of the 1950s-1970s, watched federal troops integrate schools farther south, graduated from an all-white college (in an area that had only one black family and was so cold that it was not popular with those who preferred warmer climates), began my teaching career the same year that Maryland began desegregation (which did not go as originally designed), and got married and out of the teaching field just as the federal judge imposed forced busing of students in order to meet the goals of desegregation. That did not go over well with either side of the fence.

I should also add that I was raised in a family who ran the village's country store where all races came together, not just to buy, but to sit and chat. From my earliest days, I remember black folk sitting around the pot-belly stove, eating sardines, spitting tobacco juice, and talking baseball with my uncle. Years ago, I found my grandfather's ledgers from the store and saw a large number of unpaid bills during the Depression era. I recognized many of the names, and my mother explained that her father extended a lot of credit in those days because he could not stand the thought of children going hungry. My father was also career military, which desegregated early, and was friends with and had respect for many of his fellow soldiers.

Through it all, I do not remember the sheer stupidity of what is going on now. There was a real purpose with achievable goals in the 20th century - despite the time it took to achieve those goals. Right now, I suspect many have become blind sheep following the big, bad wolf who is sending them and our society over a dangerous cliff.

Very well said, Laurie. I feel the same way.