Dead Presidents
02-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Dead Presidents
I mentioned this fairly new book, Dead Presidents by Brady Carlson, several weeks ago and continue to read it as time allows. I am really enjoying its easy style, amusing anecdotes, etc. I highly recommend it, especially to those who (like me) get tired of professorial history tomes. I think it is now available in cheaper paperback also.

This afternoon, I was reading a section on Presidential funerals and learned that Lincoln's catafalque was hastily (of course) put together with pine boards and black velvet. After its use for Mr. Lincoln, it was destined to be thrown out. It occurred to Benjamin Brown French, who had arranged the funeral, that it might be worth keeping; and it was consigned to storage in the U.S. Capitol Crypt. Souvenir seekers stripped it of its tassels, and it was almost a victim of a gas explosion in 1868. It was repaired, however, and used, ironically enough, in the very next state funeral - that of Radical Thaddeus Stevens of Pennsylvania. It has been used ever since for each individual who has laid in state in the U.S. Capitol - including ten other presidents.

In another chapter of the book, I learned some things about Congressional Cemetery in D.C. I passed this wonderful old cemetery nearly every week as a child and watched it fall into disrepair, just like the neighborhood around it, until about a decade ago when caring people went to work to save it. It is full of history (and historical folk) and well worth a tour if you visit D.C. Trust me, it won't be a morbid tour!

Dead Presidents reminds us that it got its name from the fact that many early members of Congress spent some time here (though not necessarily for eternity) since poor transportation and high costs in our early years hindered their bodies returning to home territory if they died while doing their duty to Congress in D.C. They would be "stored" at Congressional until weather conditions made it possible to return home, or they remained there for eternity. Things started to change once railroads became a vital link in our nation.

The original name of Congressional Cemetery was Washington Parish Burial Ground, and it was managed by nearby Christ Church (Episcopal). Even after the railroads helped get these men home, the managers began placing cenotaphs in the name of any Congressman who died while in office. That is a grave marker that has no body beneath. The cenotaphs were basically cone-shaped pieces placed on top of a big cube. By the 1870s, this practice was discontinued because they were considered ugly.

Three U.S. Presidents spent time in Congressional's holding vault: William Henry Harrison, John Quincy Adams, and Zachary Taylor. The author of Dead Presidents toured the cemetery with a guide named Tim Krepp, who was wearing a T-shirt with "We Will Talk About You After You Are Gone" emblazoned on the back. As he explains, the cemetery is a very informal place and its current managers and volunteers have saved it from oblivion by trying unique things to raise funds.

It first started to turn around because of the neighborhood's new owners wanting some place to walk their dogs. They now pay a fee to exercise their canines (about 700 of them) in the cemetery. They also do their own poop patrol, and the huge cemetery is like a park. Goats are brought in from time to time to take care of invasive plants. They also have special events, like craft beer tastings, concerts, and an annual War of 1812 event called "Flee The British," which is actually a 3K race with costumed Brits shouting "Flee, you cowardly Washingtonians!"

Two of our forum members are involved in preserving Congressional Cemetery, I believe, so Jim Garrett and Kate Ramirez might want to chime in here. I believe that Jim has already signed up to spend eternity in this great old burial ground.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2017, 06:18 PM
RE: Dead Presidents
2 other books that are very entertaining are "The President is Dead" by Louis Picone, and "Who's Buried in Grant's Tomb" by Brian Lamb. Saturday morning is prime dog walking time at Congressional. The cemetery usually provides coffee and donuts.
02-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Hi Laurie
During my last visit to Congressional Cemetery two years ago I had to skirt a large yoga class at the visitor building near the entrance. Lots of history on those monuments, though.
Kieran
02-05-2017, 01:39 PM
(02-05-2017 12:57 PM)Kieran McAuliffe Wrote:  Hi Laurie
During my last visit to Congressional Cemetery two years ago I had to skirt a large yoga class at the visitor building near the entrance. Lots of history on those monuments, though.
Kieran
Hi back, Kieran!

Pardon the pun, but I applaud Congressional for bringing the cemetery "back to life" again. There is nothing grander than the old Victorian park cemeteries with their tasteful landscaping and those magnificent tombstones that are architectural delights in their own right. I believe I'm correct that Congressional even has a totem pole.

The easy-to-mow modern cemeteries with their miniscule, flat, bronze markers just don't cut it for me. I am egotistical enough to want something big announcing to the world that I once trod upon this earth. As I have mentioned before, I take care of a family cemetery that dates to 1858. The last burial there was just last fall, and I intend to buried there in about forty more years when I decide to join my ancestors.

I told my daughter that I'm not wild about the idea of being put in the ground; I would much prefer a mausoleum. She told me I better get started building it now because she wasn't going to spend her inheritance on fulfilling my wish. So much for the younger generation.