washington post review of Ford's Theatre
06-17-2016, 11:25 AM
washington post review of Ford's Theatre
Did anyone see this inaccurate review from the Post:https://www.washingtonpost.com/express/w...est-stuff/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2016, 11:56 AM
RE: washington post review of Ford's Theatre
The bottom of the page next to the authors picture is an interesting comment (by the author herself?)
"Sadie Dingfelder will write about anything..."

Not that I'm a big fan, but isn't this the same newspaper that the Trump campaign revoked their press access?

There is a reason why trust in the press is so low. Too many of them are untrustworthy.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-17-2016, 12:12 PM
(06-17-2016 11:56 AM)Gene C Wrote:  The bottom of the page next to the authors picture is an interesting comment (by the author herself?)
"Sadie Dingfelder will write about anything..."

Not that I'm a big fan, but isn't this the same newspaper that the Trump campaign revoked their press access?

There is a reason why trust in the press is so low. Too many of them are untrustworthy.

Hi Gene, I didn't mean to criticize the press generally, because I am the press. I wanted to criticize the press with some specificity -- Sadie Dingfelder's litany of misstatements and historical inaccuracies. Kathy
06-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Hi Kathy,

I saw this review done by The Washington Post and, like yourself, found it to be very untrue and mistaken. I think it is such a shame that someone would write something so misleading about a beautifully preserved, educational landmark like Ford's Theatre. My only hope is that the public will not take the inaccurate statements in the article as true.
After reading it, I concluded that it was a very confused and impatient person who wrote the review.
06-17-2016, 01:04 PM
It's an odd review, to say the least.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-17-2016, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2016 01:17 PM by Lincoln Wonk.)
(06-17-2016 12:57 PM)PaigeBooth Wrote:  Hi Kathy,

I saw this review done by The Washington Post and, like yourself, found it to be very untrue and mistaken. I think it is such a shame that someone would write something so misleading about a beautifully preserved, educational landmark like Ford's Theatre. My only hope is that the public will not take the inaccurate statements in the article as true.
After reading it, I concluded that it was a very confused and impatient person who wrote the review.

Hi Paige
I was surprised that she bought a ticket online. Does Ford's have an admission charge now? It's an NPS facility. Maybe its a fee for an advance ticket?

(06-17-2016 01:04 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  It's an odd review, to say the least.

Now I'm wondering about their other reviews.
06-17-2016, 01:26 PM
This is a very sloppy piece of writing, but I suspect that her purpose was to express displeasure that so little pertaining to the true history of why Ford's Theatre has been preserved is told in this latest round of basement exhibits. I hear the same complaints from visitors who then come to Surratt House. They want more of the assassination history and less Lincoln history. One gentleman commented that there are lots of other museums that tell about Lincoln, but only one that can explain the magnitude of his death.

They also complain about being forced to leave the exhibits too early to go for the theater tour. And, the cost now involved is another issue. In the case of Surratt House and our Booth Tours, we not only have to pay for admission now; we also have to pay a sizeable amount twice a year for a special permit to bring that amount of people to the theater since our buses could represent protesters.
06-17-2016, 01:26 PM
Ford's museum would be incredible if they did display more of the assassination artifacts though.
06-17-2016, 07:51 PM
Kathy, nothing personal in my comment about the press.
I am in the insurance industry, and I cringe when I see poor service and misrepresentation in my profession.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-17-2016, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2016 09:24 PM by Lincoln Wonk.)
(06-17-2016 07:51 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Kathy, nothing personal in my comment about the press.
I am in the insurance industry, and I cringe when I see poor service and misrepresentation in my profession.

Gene, No offense taken. I was sort of joking. When you're a reporter, you hear that a lot, and, unfortunately, it's often true.

(06-17-2016 01:26 PM)L Verge Wrote:  This is a very sloppy piece of writing, but I suspect that her purpose was to express displeasure that so little pertaining to the true history of why Ford's Theatre has been preserved is told in this latest round of basement exhibits. I hear the same complaints from visitors who then come to Surratt House. They want more of the assassination history and less Lincoln history. One gentleman commented that there are lots of other museums that tell about Lincoln, but only one that can explain the magnitude of his death.

They also complain about being forced to leave the exhibits too early to go for the theater tour. And, the cost now involved is another issue. In the case of Surratt House and our Booth Tours, we not only have to pay for admission now; we also have to pay a sizeable amount twice a year for a special permit to bring that amount of people to the theater since our buses could represent protesters.

(06-17-2016 09:22 PM)Lincoln Wonk Wrote:  
(06-17-2016 07:51 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Kathy, nothing personal in my comment about the press.

Gene, No offense taken. I was sort of joking. When you're a reporter, you hear that a lot, and, unfortunately, it's often true.

(06-17-2016 01:26 PM)L Verge Wrote:  This is a very sloppy piece of writing, but I suspect that her purpose was to express displeasure that so little pertaining to the true history of why Ford's Theatre has been preserved is told in this latest round of basement exhibits. I hear the same complaints from visitors who then come to Surratt House. They want more of the assassination history and less Lincoln history. One gentleman commented that there are lots of other museums that tell about Lincoln, but only one that can explain the magnitude of his death.

Laurie, How long have they been charging admission? I guess that means all families who go to D.C. with the idea that govt-run museums are free are disappointed?
06-18-2016, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure why the writer paid $10.25. If one purchases tickets via Ford's website, the ticket price for the museum and ranger talk in the theatre is $4.25. (The price includes the $1.25 Ticketmaster fee.) I always thought tickets to the museum/ranger talk were free at the door, but during peak visits, one may not get any.
06-18-2016, 12:42 AM

Laurie, How long have they been charging admission? I guess that means all families who go to D.C. with the idea that govt-run museums are free are disappointed?

I believe the admissions policy applies to groups and those that need to purchase tickets ahead of time. Otherwise, you need to stand in line and hope you get in at a certain time. We had to start paying for tickets and that special permit about 2-3 years ago.
06-18-2016, 08:35 PM
The Express is the free newspaper published by the Washington Post. The best articles are the ones they pick up from news services. Journalism is an interesting animal. There are many fine journalists, Kathy certainly being among those few. Sometimes being factual is less important than a trying to lob a few grenades.
06-20-2016, 07:08 AM
(06-18-2016 08:35 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  The Express is the free newspaper published by the Washington Post. The best articles are the ones they pick up from news services. Journalism is an interesting animal. There are many fine journalists, Kathy certainly being among those few. Sometimes being factual is less important than a trying to lob a few grenades.

Thanks, Jim. I realize I might have responded too soon to the review. As several people have pointed out, some things probably could be tweaked. I just think the rangers do such a great jobs sharing the information with visitors, not just in the show, but chatting with visitors in the museum and the bookstore, that I guess I wrote defensively. Perhaps the writer went there excited to see everything and just caught it on a bad day.
06-20-2016, 11:14 AM
The Rangers and the history volunteers do a great job. Unfortunately, I have the feeling that the NPS now takes orders from the reverse side of the Ford's Theatre project. They have accomplished a great deal of upgrade over the past decade, but some of what I've seen is too glossy for the solemn old building, in my opinion.