Old Capitol Prison
08-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Old Capitol Prison
Has anyone done a book on the history of the Old Capitol Prison and its prisoners? I know about Barry Cauchon' new book
"Inside the Walls" and I am eagerly looking forward to it.

http://awesometalks.wordpress.com/tag/barry-cauchon/

Is there anything else out there that may cover a wider perspective?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2012, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 02:01 PM by Laurie Verge.)
RE: Old Capitol Prison
I am not aware of a full book being dedicated to the history of the Old Capitol Prison, but there are cameo histories of it in quite a few sources. One interesting story is from the days that a hell-cat by the name of Catherine Baxley "resided" there at the same time that the occupants of Mrs. Surratt's boardinghouse were there. I believe one of Mrs. Surratt's young ladies, Honora Fitzpatrick, was a roommate of Mrs. Baxley. There is also reference to Mrs. Baxley's Confederate son being brought there to die and Mrs. Surratt lending aid and comfort to the young man.

One of my staff members, Joan Chaconas, did a talk on the Old Capitol and its superintendent several years ago at a Surratt conference. I'll see what she has to say.
08-27-2012, 01:27 PM
(08-27-2012 12:02 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I am not aware of a full book being dedicated to the history of the Old Capitol Prison, but there are cameo histories of it in quite a few sources. One interesting story is from the days that a hell-cat by the name of Catherine Baxley "resided" there at the same time that the occupants of Mrs. Surratt's boardinghouse were there. I believe one of Mrs. Surratt's young ladies, Honora Fitzpatrick, was a roommate of Mrs. Baxley. There is also reference to Mrs. Baxley's Confederate son being brought there to die and Mrs. Surratt lending aid and comfort to the young man.

One of my staff member, Joan Chaconas, did a talk on the Old Capitol and its superintendent several years ago at a Surratt conference. I'll see what she has to say.

That would be great, Laurie! I've got a definite interest in it as well....what conditions were like, who was incarcerated there....is there any logbook; etc. like Hartranft's Letter Book which exists that would say who was incarcerated there and when?

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Who was Hartranft'? Why is his Letter Book significant?

08-27-2012, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 02:58 PM by RJNorton.)
I went onlline and found this....seems pretty interesting -

Wish there was a Letter Book ala Hartranft.....

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pa91/cmocp.html?cj=1&netid=cj&o_xid=0001177079&o_lid=0001177079

(08-27-2012 01:31 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Who was Hartranft'? Why is his Letter Book significant?

Gene -

You're kidding, right?!?!

Found this wonderful period Floor Plan of the Old Capitol -

CLICK HERE

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for posting that floor plan, Betty!
08-27-2012, 04:38 PM
No problem, Roger!

I'm on the track of something else --

Now, for those who are unfamiliar with Colonel (later, Major General) John F. Hartranft. He was the military commandant of the Old Arsenal Prison during the incarceration and trial of the Lincoln Conspirators. General Hartranft was later in life the Governor of his native Pennsylvania. Early in life, he was an engineering student, but after graduating tired of engineering and switched to law and business. In 1854 he married Sallie Douglas Sebring. They had six children, three of whom died in infancy.

Young Hartranft as an engineering student in 1856 ( Front Left holding sextant)

[Image: 1856younghartranftengin.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hartranft photographed at the Hanging

[Image: hartranftdetail.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Letter Books are of importance because they are a day by day record of the care of the prisoners - including what they ate, recording when they were shaved and barbered, what cells they were in, including their personal effects and even their laundry lists!

08-27-2012, 05:06 PM
We all owe a debt of gratitude to Betty Ownsbey for stumbling upon Hartranft's Letter Books years ago while researching Powell at Gettysburg College. The librarian literally dumped them in her lap and suggested they might be of interest.

When Betty realized what they were, she went running for a pay phone (no cell phones in those days) and called James O. Hall in McLean, Virginia. Mr. Hall had searched for them for years and had given up hope of finding the Letter Books. He told Betty to stay where she was, he would be there shortly -- and about two hours later, there he was!

Those records revealed many, many things. We even found out that Mrs. Surratt refused to eat and was threatened with force feeding. Ed Steers and Harold Holzer collaborated on a book covering Hartranft's records several years ago. There is also a good book on the career of Gen. Hartranft written by Al Gambone (now deceased).

P.S. When word got out that the Letter Books still existed, the National Archives stepped in and demanded that they be turned over to them. I believe the family also wanted them back, but they now reside in the Archives branch in Philadelphia (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that).
08-27-2012, 05:43 PM
(08-27-2012 05:06 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  We all owe a debt of gratitude to Betty Ownsbey for stumbling upon Hartranft's Letter Books years ago while researching Powell at Gettysburg College. The librarian literally dumped them in her lap and suggested they might be of interest.

When Betty realized what they were, she went running for a pay phone (no cell phones in those days) and called James O. Hall in McLean, Virginia. Mr. Hall had searched for them for years and had given up hope of finding the Letter Books. He told Betty to stay where she was, he would be there shortly -- and about two hours later, there he was!

Those records revealed many, many things. We even found out that Mrs. Surratt refused to eat and was threatened with force feeding. Ed Steers and Harold Holzer collaborated on a book covering Hartranft's records several years ago. There is also a good book on the career of Gen. Hartranft written by Al Gambone (now deceased).

P.S. When word got out that the Letter Books still existed, the National Archives stepped in and demanded that they be turned over to them. I believe the family also wanted them back, but they now reside in the Archives branch in Philadelphia (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that).

that's amazing. What are the odds of there being anything else out there that is yet to come to light?

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
08-27-2012, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 05:56 PM by BettyO.)
Ok -- Ya'll are making me blush!!! Blush

As far as finding new stuff....yes, it's out there and yes, the odds are pretty good, Maddie!

With the inception of the internet, there are many, many more paths to follow - and thus make those findings a reality!

08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Way back in the early-1970s, while I was still teaching, there was a brief newspaper article about sixteen boxes of Civil War materials that had been recently discovered in a warehouse in Chicago. I have often wondered if anyone ever went through those things to find out what was there -- or did they just relegate them to a shredder or another warehouse...

I would love to find the "confession" or whatever it was that David Herold was writing during recesses in the courtroom.
08-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Wow, what a find! I wonder why the National Archives stepped in and demanded them?

Craig
08-27-2012, 08:54 PM
I believe that, because they were related to one of the most important events in American history, the U.S. government thought that they should have control of them. Ed Steers might be able to elaborate further on the matter.
05-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Virtual images of the Old Capital Prison

http://washingtonarchitecture.blogspot.c...rison.html

05-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Neat, Gene. Thanks for posting.