The President's Wife
06-28-2015, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2015 10:30 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
The President's Wife
In the used copy of a book I ordered was an old newspaper clipping with a review on this book, then soon to be published:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0399111328...t%27s+wife
From the review it sounds an interesting read on the topic. Has any of you read it? What do you think, especially compared to the other works on Mary? Would you recommend it?

Many thanks for any feedback!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2015, 12:15 PM
RE: The President's Wife
It's a good book IMO, but I would place it below Jean Baker's biography in terms of thoroughness. There are notes at the end, but they tell the sources where the author got her information for each chapter; the book does not have numbered footnotes/endnotes. Basically I think folks who are sympathetic to Mary would probably enjoy the book; those who are not sympathetic would probably not enjoy this book. IMO if you have read other biographies of Mary I do not think there is much new to learn in this book.
06-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Thank you, Roger, that was a very helpful comment!
07-01-2015, 11:00 PM
Thanks Roger, I've been wanting to read this book FOREVER! Eva please let me know what you think after you have read it!Wink
07-02-2015, 07:19 AM
I will be interested in hearing what others think. One well-known Lincoln expert called the book "historical fiction" rather than "a biography."
07-02-2015, 07:42 PM
(07-02-2015 07:19 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I will be interested in hearing what others think. One well-known Lincoln expert called the book "historical fiction" rather than "a biography."
I don't know if this is interesting to you, but I scanned the review I found in the book.

07-02-2015, 08:05 PM
I have this book and agree with Roger's comments. IMO it's a light read and without footnotes it's hard to separate fact, fiction and opinion. Jean Baker's biography is "scholarly, factual and dispassionate" to quote an LA Times review.

Toia, you can borrow my copy.
07-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Hi Anita...thanks much!Tongue

I know that Jean Baker's bio of Mary is considered seminal, and it is indeed very "dispassionate" which from the standpoint of the historian makes it very valuable.

But as a layperson who is the opposite of dispassionate I much prefer the Ruth Painter Randall biography of Mary. It's as sympathetic as can be without slipping toward whitewash, or hagiography.
07-03-2015, 01:11 PM
(07-03-2015 12:43 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Hi Anita...thanks much!Tongue

I know that Jean Baker's bio of Mary is considered seminal, and it is indeed very "dispassionate" which from the standpoint of the historian makes it very valuable.

But as a layperson who is the opposite of dispassionate I much prefer the Ruth Painter Randall biography of Mary. It's as sympathetic as can be without slipping toward whitewash, or hagiography.

I liked Randall's book too

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-03-2015, 05:39 PM
(07-03-2015 01:11 PM)Gene C Wrote:  
(07-03-2015 12:43 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Hi Anita...thanks much!Tongue

I liked Randall's book too
Me three.
07-03-2015, 06:01 PM
I'll add Catherine Clinton's "Mrs. Lincoln: A Life" to the list.
07-03-2015, 08:54 PM
(07-03-2015 06:01 PM)ReignetteC Wrote:  I'll add Catherine Clinton's "Mrs. Lincoln: A Life" to the list.
Thanks. I haven't read that one.