the three spires
04-13-2015, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2015 04:06 PM by loetar44.)
the three spires
Good evening (Dutch time) to all! I hope this find you in good health. Here, at this side of the big pond, all is okay.

I found that there is (considerable ?) confusion among persons like me studying Lincoln over the three constructions of his tomb. Of course I know that the first built structure had a spire that did not have the height to give it its present appearance. The first spire was eighty-five-foot-tall, the present spire one-hundred-seventeen foot. In fact there were three different spires. The original monument had an iron spiral staircase within the obelisk that led to a platform at the top where, through circular windows, visitors could enjoy a panoramic view of Springfield and the surrounding countryside. There were (as I read somewhere) two portholes (the circular windows) on each side. The second spire (1901) was not only increased, but also had three portholes on each side. The third (and present, since 1930/31) spire has no portholes at all, as there is no stairway inside the obelisk anymore. BTW: in each structure there are three holes in the top band.

Are there clear images of all three spires on which the above is seen? It will take a little digging I suppose, but I hope that somebody is coming up with some pics. Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2015, 04:07 PM
RE: the three spires
Kees, here is an old image, and my aging eyes think it's from 1902.
04-14-2015, 05:09 PM
RE: the three spires
Thanks Roger!