I wish I was going to Fords 150, pouting cause I can't
02-25-2015, 04:16 PM
I wish I was going to Fords 150, pouting cause I can't
This thread is for folks who can't make it to Fords 150.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2015, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2015 10:15 PM by Gene C.)
RE: I wish I was going to Fords 150, pouting cause I can't
I'd like to go to Ford's for the 150th but...
If you can't make it to Ford's for the 150th, think about Springfied, IL in Oct. Plenty to see and do.
Cool temperatures, less traffic and less crowded. Joe Di Cola is already hard at work on our schedule.

Abraham Lincoln may have died in Washington, but his spirit still lives on in Springfield.
http://www.visitspringfieldillinois.com/Things-To-Do

See the thread and photos of our previous trips at http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...d-969.html

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
02-25-2015, 05:35 PM
I agree Gene. Springfield may be the place to be! There is so much to see and many events are being planned (funeral and funeral train etc.). Plus there is less traffic and it is easier to find a parking space.
02-25-2015, 09:04 PM
(02-25-2015 04:41 PM)Gene C Wrote:  I'd like to go to Ford's for the 150th but...
If you can't make it to Ford's for the 150th, think about Springfied, IL in Oct. Plenty to see and do.
Cool temperatures, less traffic and less crowded. Joe De Cola is already hard at work on our schedule.

Abraham Lincoln may have died in Washington, but his spirit still lives on in Springfield.
http://www.visitspringfieldillinois.com/Things-To-Do

See the thread and photos of our previous trips at http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...d-969.html

Gene,

Do you and Joe have a date yet for the fall Springfield trip?

Scott
02-25-2015, 09:05 PM
Most of the relics and artifacts that we be brought together at Ford's Theatre have been on display either at Ford's, the Smithsonian, or the Library of Congress. Most will be going back and be on display at their respective museums, the exception being AL's overcoat and the large blue striped pillow if they do display it. In my way of thinking, the item that most interests me is the Lincoln carriage from the Studebaker Museum. It will be on display from late March through late May at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. It will return to Ft. Wayne In. Maybe the powers to be can get the Studebaker Museum to have it in Springfield for the fall, if it's not already going there
02-25-2015, 09:44 PM
(02-25-2015 09:05 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  Most of the relics and artifacts that we be brought together at Ford's Theatre have been on display either at Ford's, the Smithsonian, or the Library of Congress. Most will be going back and be on display at their respective museums, the exception being AL's overcoat and the large blue striped pillow if they do display it. In my way of thinking, the item that most interests me is the Lincoln carriage from the Studebaker Museum. It will be on display from late March through late May at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. It will return to Ft. Wayne In. Maybe the powers to be can get the Studebaker Museum to have it in Springfield for the fall, if it's not already going there

Minor point of correction, Studebaker museum is in South Bend, IN.
02-25-2015, 10:28 PM
(02-25-2015 09:04 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  Gene,

Do you and Joe have a date yet for the fall Springfield trip?

Scott

Oct 2-4
The action starts on Oct. 2nd, a Friday. My wife and I usually get there Thursday afternoon. That evening we meet, great and eat. Fri & Sat are full of seeing the sites. On Sunday, we have breakfast together before we head home. It is amazing to me the deep friendships we have made in spending those two days together.

02-25-2015, 11:24 PM
As soon as I read James Swanson's wonderful Smithsonian article, I went on Hotels.com, but it's fairly pricey, and I can't get weekdays off very easily. I love that NPS will have people in period costumes on Tenth Street.
02-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Now He Belongs to the Ages: A Lincoln Commemoration, the performance scheduled inside of Ford's at 9 pm on April 14th, will also be streamed online according to the Ford's Theatre website. That is very nice of them to do and will be great for those who can't attend the event in person.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Thanks Dave for the info.
It would be nice if someone could post this and other activities on the calendar, especially those that are streamed online.

02-26-2015, 10:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2015 10:35 PM by Dave Taylor.)
Gene,

I honestly did not realize until this moment that our lovely forum here has a calendar feature. I feel silly now for going through the trouble of making my own. If I get a chance I'll transfer some events over to the forum calendar (with Roger's permission of course).

In the meantime, I did a post today about some of the assassination events planned for March: http://boothiebarn.com/2015/02/26/calendar-march-2015/

BTW: When you all go to Springfield, I might have to commission you guys to take a bunch of pictures and pick me up a copy of the exhibit catalog for the ALPLM's Undying Words exhibit.
02-26-2015, 10:36 PM
(02-26-2015 10:32 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Gene,
BTW: When you all go to Springfield, I might have to commission you guys to take a bunch of pictures and pick me up a copy of the exhibit catalog for the ALPLM's Undying Words exhibit.

Be happy to.
How many days have you missed school because of the weather?

02-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Last week I had two and a half days off due to the snow. A quick storm that came in today gave me today off. Over the whole winter my school district has used 5 snow days. I'm not complaining though. It gives me unexpected time to research and write!
02-27-2015, 08:23 AM
(02-25-2015 09:44 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  
(02-25-2015 09:05 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  Most of the relics and artifacts that we be brought together at Ford's Theatre have been on display either at Ford's, the Smithsonian, or the Library of Congress. Most will be going back and be on display at their respective museums, the exception being AL's overcoat and the large blue striped pillow if they do display it. In my way of thinking, the item that most interests me is the Lincoln carriage from the Studebaker Museum. It will be on display from late March through late May at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. It will return to Ft. Wayne In. Maybe the powers to be can get the Studebaker Museum to have it in Springfield for the fall, if it's not already going there

Minor point of correction, Studebaker museum is in South Bend, IN.
I stand corrected. TY Big Grin
02-27-2015, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 06:25 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(02-25-2015 11:24 PM)Lincoln Wonk Wrote:  I went on Hotels.com, but it's fairly pricey...
For those who need to watch their budget and don't mind to share a bedroom with at least one other guest, I highly recommend the William Penn House on Capitol Hill!!!

http://www.williampennhouse.org/hospitality

Accommodations include towels, bedding, a real good breakfast each morning (all organic food, and such as müsli and whole grain bread!). There are a refrigerator, toaster, electic-kettle and microwave for common use, two common dining rooms, a living room, and free WIFI.

There's also a 2-bed "dorm" (= one bunk bed) available on request, it's not offered online! Last year I had it just for me (for 45$/night)! I absolutely loved the place, very nice people, too.