Seward House Exhibit - Powell and Seward
02-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Seward House Exhibit - Powell and Seward
Seward House in Auburn, NY is sponsoring a new exhibit - "Powell and Seward" (at least I think that is the correct name of the exhibit....) The exhibit concerns Powell and the attack on Seward. This display will commemorate the 150th sesquicentennial of the assassination and some artifacts of my personal collection are on loan. The exhibit runs from March 3, 2015 to December 2015 -

I will also be giving a talk on Powell on May 29th at Seward House. Can't wait to see the museum - I've always wanted to go.....

Please join us!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2015, 06:11 PM
RE: Seward House Exhibit - Powell and Seward
Best of luck with your talk, Betty!
02-17-2015, 06:32 PM
I wish you the same, Betty!
I'd love to see Seward House, especially the beautiful lavender dress Fanny wore in the Leutze portrait, and the garden - if it still exists...does it? Are there some "boundary plants" left that Seward had planted? Unfortunately their website doesn't work on my device.
02-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Sneak in another trip across the Big Pond, Eva. If we get enough participants, the Surratt House is planning a three-day trip to the Finger Lakes region of New York that will include a full day at the Seward home and the last home of Harriet Tubman. If anyone is interested, go to http://www.surrattmuseum.org and click on the tab for events and trips.
02-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Wow, what a fantastic program! I badly need to win the lottery...(also for the Springfield tour). What is a Reuben sandwich (I guess it has nothing to do with Lincoln and the "Chronicles of Reuben")?
02-17-2015, 07:20 PM
Eva -

I have wonderful photos of Fanny's beautiful dress. The photos are on my flash drive and I've shut down my PC for the night and am on my iPad - I'll send you photos of the dress in the morning - it's lovely!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
02-17-2015, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2015 08:31 PM by L Verge.)
(02-17-2015 07:02 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Wow, what a fantastic program! I badly need to win the lottery...(also for the Springfield tour). What is a Reuben sandwich (I guess it has nothing to do with Lincoln and the "Chronicles of Reuben")?

I don't know much about a Reuben except that I enjoy one every now and then. It is made with corned beef or pastrami, Swiss cheese (or Monterey Jack), sauerkraut, and Thousand Island dressing on rye bread. I have always associated it with those wonderful Jewish delis in New York. Some places are now substituting turkey for the corned beef or pastrami.
02-17-2015, 07:49 PM
Thanks, Betty - I'm looking forward to see them!!!!
Thanks also for explaining, Laurie! Quite international composition!
02-18-2015, 03:50 PM
That's great, Betty. You'll love the Seward House Museum. It's full of fascinating things, many of which came from the Old Clubhouse in Washington D.C. such as the gilded chairs in the parlor.

Eva, you can find the Seward House pamphlet from 1955 on Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/sewardhouse00foun
02-18-2015, 07:39 PM
Thanks, Linda! Very nice booklet and photos!
02-18-2015, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2015 08:35 PM by L Verge.)
(02-17-2015 07:25 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(02-17-2015 07:02 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Wow, what a fantastic program! I badly need to win the lottery...(also for the Springfield tour). What is a Reuben sandwich (I guess it has nothing to do with Lincoln and the "Chronicles of Reuben")?

I don't know much about a Reuben except that I enjoy one every now and then. It is made with corned beef or pastrami, Swiss cheese (or Monterey Jack), sauerkraut, and Thousand Island dressing on rye bread. I have always associated it with those wonderful Jewish delis in New York. Some places are now substituting turkey for the corned beef or pastrami.

I learned today that a Reuben becomes transgender when you make it with turkey and substitute cole slaw for the sauerkraut. It is then called a Rachel. BTW: In either case, it should be a grilled sandwich, not a cold one, if done properly.

(02-18-2015 03:50 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  That's great, Betty. You'll love the Seward House Museum. It's full of fascinating things, many of which came from the Old Clubhouse in Washington D.C. such as the gilded chairs in the parlor.

Eva, you can find the Seward House pamphlet from 1955 on Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/sewardhouse00foun

The gift shop at the Seward House sells what appears to be a beautiful, color rendition booklet of the house and grounds. However, it sells for $24.95 plus tax and shipping.
02-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Laurie - I'd go for Rachel...
02-19-2015, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2015 10:24 AM by STS Lincolnite.)
(02-19-2015 09:26 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Laurie - I'd go for Rachel...

Eva! A German foregoing the sauerkraut? I'm aghast! Big Grin

That being said, the most common place I see a Reuben sandwich on the menu is at an Irish restaurant.
02-19-2015, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2015 11:40 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Scott - I'd also go for Reuchel or Raben - turkey + sauerkraut (+ whole grain rye bread, please!)
02-19-2015, 12:11 PM
(02-19-2015 10:20 AM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  
(02-19-2015 09:26 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Laurie - I'd go for Rachel...

Eva! A German foregoing the sauerkraut? I'm aghast! Big Grin

That being said, the most common place I see a Reuben sandwich on the menu is at an Irish restaurant.

Can't get those Irish away from their corned beef and cabbage - even when the cabbage is pickled!

I started to do some googling on the background of this sandwich, but never finished. It appears to have been created here in America, however. I'm sure there has to be some German, Russian, or even Eastern European roots in its creation, however. Some recipes call for Russian dressing instead of the Thousand Island, but I don't think I would like that as well.