Lincoln Assassination Paintings/Depictions
01-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Lincoln Assassination Paintings/Depictions
I came across a website that had a painting depicting Lincoln's assassination that I had not seen before. I find the perspective from the painting's vantage point very unique.

http://shapingamerica.byu.edu/gallery/th...f-lincoln/

Does anyone else have any interesting, unique or favorite paintings or depictions of the assassination?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2015, 11:38 PM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Paintings/Depictions
Never saw that paiting before. How interesting. Booth is depicted in free fall to the stage just having jumped over the balcony. Is that Major Rathbone who is standing looking in shock inside the box (in civilian clothes)?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2015, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2015 06:37 AM by BettyO.)
I thought that this one was really well rendered - at least the people portrayed look like who they are supposed to be; yet the stance and look of everyone in the box is rather indifferent to any perceived violence; Lincoln appears as if he's dozed off; Mary Lincoln looks bored and Rathbone, (for a man with a badly cut artery and practically bleeding to death), looks as if he's simply trying to touch JWB. Clara appears to think "What a RUDE man!" Booth himself seems to have done nothing but "crashed" the theatre box party rather than harmed anyone.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-13-2015, 07:29 AM
Both are very interesting. The first is a great and unique perspective as if the viewer was in the audience.
01-13-2015, 08:47 AM
(01-13-2015 07:29 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  Both are very interesting. The first is a great and unique perspective as if the viewer was in the audience.
Absolutely! And the black & white increases the effect. I haven't often seen paintings (especially of that century) in black & white.
01-13-2015, 09:11 AM
(01-13-2015 06:30 AM)BettyO Wrote:  I thought that this one was really well rendered - at least the people portrayed look like who they are supposed to be; yet the stance and look of everyone in the box is rather indifferent to any perceived violence; Lincoln appears as if he's dozed off; Mary Lincoln looks bored and Rathbone, (for a man with a badly cut artery and practically bleeding to death), looks as if he's simply trying to touch JWB. Clara appears to think "What a RUDE man!" Booth himself seems to have done nothing but "crashed" the theatre box party rather than harmed anyone.....

Booth looks as if he's suddenly realized he has a fear of heights.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2015, 11:38 AM
(01-13-2015 06:30 AM)BettyO Wrote:  I thought that this one was really well rendered - at least the people portrayed look like who they are supposed to be; yet the stance and look of everyone in the box is rather indifferent to any perceived violence; Lincoln appears as if he's dozed off; Mary Lincoln looks bored and Rathbone, (for a man with a badly cut artery and practically bleeding to death), looks as if he's simply trying to touch JWB. Clara appears to think "What a RUDE man!" Booth himself seems to have done nothing but "crashed" the theatre box party rather than harmed anyone.....
Any idea of the date on this rendering? I immediately noticed the accurate portrayal of Clara. All these years, we accepted the lady with the petite nose as Clara Harris until the real Clara's photo was identified by Hallam Webber. Whoever created this painting evidently knew what the real Clara looked like.

P.S. I'm not being rude here, just observant.
01-13-2015, 01:34 PM
I agree, Laurie --

I found this thing online a couple of years ago and unfortunately was not observant enough to write down the URL - usually I do that....but yes, you're right - it most certainly IS the real Clara Harris. I'm almost positive that this is a modern painting - and except for the rather wooden stances and attitudes in the face of horrid violence; a very good one!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Betty, earlier this morning I searched for the image and found it here.

It says that the painting is attributed to a person named Eastman Johnson, 19th century.
01-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Here are three different depictions I wasn't familiar with at

http://www.art.com/asp/sp.asp?frameSku=7...792559F636
01-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Quote:Betty, earlier this morning I searched for the image and found it here.

It says that the painting is attributed to a person named Eastman Johnson, 19th century.

Thanks, Roger! It certainly appears to be a modern painting to me - perhaps it's the bright colors - it doesn't appear faded as most old paintings do....

01-13-2015, 04:40 PM
(01-13-2015 11:38 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Any idea of the date on this rendering? I immediately noticed the accurate portrayal of Clara. All these years, we accepted the lady with the petite nose as Clara Harris until the real Clara's photo was identified by Hallam Webber. Whoever created this painting evidently knew what the real Clara looked like.

(01-13-2015 03:32 PM)BettyO Wrote:  It certainly appears to be a modern painting to me - perhaps it's the bright colors - it doesn't appear faded as most old paintings do....

Laurie and Betty, I was curious about the attribution also. I wonder if a mistake was made. Here is a definite work by Eastman Johnson. It's called The Boy Lincoln. The date is 1868.

[Image: 484px-Lincoln-as-a-boy-reading-at-night.jpeg]

Source: Library of Congress
01-13-2015, 05:47 PM
All of the paintings are wonderfull. I really love the perspective of the first black and white. Betty's painting is so wonderfully realistic. Except the lack of expression on their faces. I immediatly thought this could be a set in a wax museum.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
01-13-2015, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2015 06:20 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(01-13-2015 04:40 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(01-13-2015 03:32 PM)BettyO Wrote:  It certainly appears to be a modern painting to me - perhaps it's the bright colors - it doesn't appear faded as most old paintings do....
Laurie and Betty, I was curious about the attribution also. I wonder if a mistake was made. Here is a definite work by Eastman Johnson.
And here's one by Eastman Johnson painted in similarly bright colors:
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=13275
Eastman Johnson was the co-founder of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.
01-13-2015, 06:26 PM
(01-13-2015 06:20 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(01-13-2015 04:40 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
Laurie and Betty, I was curious about the attribution also. I wonder if a mistake was made. Here is a definite work by Eastman Johnson.
And here's one by Eastman Johnson painted in similarly bright colors:
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=13275
Eastman Johnson was the co-founder of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.

Thanks for the info on Johnson being a co-founder of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Lincoln scholar and prolific writer Harold Holzer is a Vice President of the Museum. When I get back to work with a computer that will allow me to email (my home one is playing games and hibernating for the winter), I shall contact Harold to see what information he can share. He will also be speaking at the Surratt conference.