Interesting Observations from James O'Beirne's Diary
12-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Interesting Observations from James O'Beirne's Diary
In looking at the Donald Dow Collection (Thanks, Dave!) found some very interesting observations in the diary of James O'Beirne -

Atzerodt - "Description of Atzerodt

Medium height, black (?!) hair, thick set, broad shoulders, black moustache, high cheek bones, looks like a German. A smiling man ordinarily."

Herold -

"Herold visits frequently a Dr. Robinson between Woodville and Benedick (?) Takes the Bryantown Road. He often visits there. Dr. Robinson is a friend of his."

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2014, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 10:02 AM by L Verge.)
RE: Interesting Observations from James O'Beirne's Diary
(12-18-2014 09:41 AM)BettyO Wrote:  In looking at the Donald Dow Collection (Thanks, Dave!) found some very interesting observations in the diary of James O'Beirne -

Atzerodt - "Description of Atzerodt

Medium height, black (?!) hair, thick set, broad shoulders, black moustache, high cheek bones, looks like a German. A smiling man ordinarily."

Herold -

"Herold visits frequently a Dr. Robinson between Woodville and Benedick (?) Takes the Bryantown Road. He often visits there. Dr. Robinson is a friend of his."

Woodville is now Aquasco, still a small village before you hop from Prince George's County into Charles County. Benedict is a Charles County fishing village on the banks of the Patuxent River, but dates to the colonial era. It's where the British landed their army in 1814 to begin the march through Southern Maryland aimed at D.C. for a bonfire. During the Civil War, Benedict was the site of Camp Stanton, a training area for the U.S. Colored Troops (placed smack in the middle of Confederate sympathizers to make a point).

Many years ago, Mr. Hall found reference to Herold spending time with someone in Patuxent City. That area no longer exists, except to us old-timers who remember when there were still some old, decaying structures there. Patuxent City is about the mid-point between Aquasco (then Woodville) and Benedict.

I don't know that Mr. Hall ever found out who Herold would stay with, but in the town of Woodville, there was a prominent Dr. Stone that we have always suspected of being part of the underground in that area. Now that we have the name of a Dr. Robinson, someone may be able to pinpoint who and where he was. Dave Taylor, I just gave you that assignment!

As for that description of Atzerodt, I don't think it's a very good one...
12-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the reiteration regarding the Maryland locations, Laurie!

Woodyard is familiar, but the other locations are most certainly not.

You are right - a strange observation re: Atzerodt, Laurie. I always heard that he was blond or sandy haired with gray/green eyes. Like the "smiling" observation, though. Sounds like he was a pleasant fellow....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Don't confuse Woodyard with Woodville 'cause they are about 15 miles apart. The site of the original Woodyard is just a few miles from Surratt House and is now a development - which is a shame because the original plantation held, at one time during the Revolution, the largest home on the East Coast with an industrial wing added to it where supplies for the American forces were produced in large quantitites. I believe that I'm correct that it was once owned during the War of 1812 by Stephen West, husband of F.S. Key's sister. (Not positive on that tidbit.) Woodville is way down the road (now Aquasco) and a village, not a farm.

As for Atzerodt, I think there are several descriptions referring to him having rounded shoulders - like the beginnings of spine curvature. I'll probably get kicked by a few people for saying this again, but I still contend that the conspirators could have been our friends and neighbors if we lived back then. Ordinary people until something gets them stirred up.

You mentioned Annie Ward. She was teaching in D.C. and serving as a mail post for the Confederacy (John Surratt specifically) in 1865. Did she come here from Baltimore?
12-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Regarding Atzerodt Theodore Roscoe writes, "Of all Booth's co-conspirators Atzerodt was probably the earthiest. And much of that earth seems to have been on his wrists, on the nape of his neck, in his ears, and in the pores of his nose. Still, by all accounts, he was a good-natured sort of clod - an amiable animal with the face of a dancing bear."
12-18-2014, 02:05 PM
(12-18-2014 01:48 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Regarding Atzerodt Theodore Roscoe writes, "Of all Booth's co-conspirators Atzerodt was probably the earthiest. And much of that earth seems to have been on his wrists, on the nape of his neck, in his ears, and in the pores of his nose. Still, by all accounts, he was a good-natured sort of clod - an amiable animal with the face of a dancing bear."

Even Louis Weichmann seemed rather taken with Atzerodt. At John Surratt's trial, Weichmann spontaneously described Atzerodt as "witty" and "funny," and in his book described him as "a man full of fun, country humor, and quaint stories."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2014, 02:07 PM
(12-18-2014 01:38 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I'll probably get kicked by a few people for saying this again, but I still contend that the conspirators could have been our friends and neighbors if we lived back then. Ordinary people until something gets them stirred up.

I'll be the first to disagree, but no kicking.
Ordinalry people don't plot to kidnap or kill heads of state. Even when stirred up.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-18-2014, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 02:15 PM by BettyO.)
Quote:You mentioned Annie Ward. She was teaching in D.C. and serving as a mail post for the Confederacy (John Surratt specifically) in 1865. Did she come here from Baltimore?

The "Annie Ward" I'm referring to is the African American maid whom Powell beat up at the Branson House in March of 1865. Different person entirely! I found her name in papers from the Adjutant's Office a few years ago and was totally shocked! Like you, Laurie, I thought of the name of Surratt's DC lady friend....

According to the papers, this particular Ms. Ward was subpoenaed for the trial, but never called. Written beside her name is the word "colored" in parentheses.

Quote:Even Louis Weichmann seemed rather taken with Atzerodt. At John Surratt's trial, Weichmann spontaneously described Atzerodt as "witty" and "funny," and in his book described him as "a man full of fun, country humor, and quaint stories."

Lew Powell also liked Atzerodt, and one contemporary newspaper article has him stating that "Atzerodt was innocent." Powell apparently did not have the same feelings about Herold whom he disdained as a "little blab."

12-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Who is James O'Beirne?

12-18-2014, 02:29 PM
O'Beirne was a part of the search team who went after Booth and Herold.

12-18-2014, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 06:40 PM by Gene C.)
Was he a Baker detective? I noticed on another thread he helped Henry Rathbone into a carriage to take him home on the night of the assassination?

Also, Kees wrote this on an earlier thread, Phantoms at Lincoln's deathbed - "(2) "Tributes to Abraham Lincoln", a compilation of newspaper articles, says: Gen. O'Beirne is the only man living who was present at the death of Lincoln. He waa sent to the house as provost-marshal by Secretary of War Stanton. Also here I did not find any corroborating documentation.

Was he a general at the time?

12-18-2014, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 06:27 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Gene, in "American Brutus" his rank was a major (at least at that time).
12-18-2014, 07:28 PM
(12-18-2014 01:48 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Regarding Atzerodt Theodore Roscoe writes, "Of all Booth's co-conspirators Atzerodt was probably the earthiest. And much of that earth seems to have been on his wrists, on the nape of his neck, in his ears, and in the pores of his nose. Still, by all accounts, he was a good-natured sort of clod - an amiable animal with the face of a dancing bear."

Fits him like a glove. That's just how I imagined him to be. I always thought Herold looked a bit greasy and unwashed too. Mind you, I guess you would having spent quite a bit in the clink.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
12-18-2014, 08:00 PM
(12-18-2014 07:28 PM)MaddieM Wrote:  

Fits him like a glove. That's just how I imagined him to be. I always thought Herold looked a bit greasy and unwashed too. Mind you, I guess you would having spent quite a bit in the clink.

And on the run for twelve days! I suspect that Davey was generally well-dressed and clean before his escapades since he came from a good family and a house full of women who would force him to keep up appearances. He also held reputable jobs as a pharmacist's assistant, which should have required some "polish."

There are also references from Herold's schoolmates suggesting that he had a good sense of humor and could be the class clown - even sometimes diffusing tense situations that could have resulted in a brawl. Remember also that he attended at least two very reputable educational institutions.

Gene - reference your comment about neighbors and their intentions. If you had friends who had assisted in the plots against Adolph Hitler in WWII, would you feel the same way? I would, in no way, put Lincoln in the same class as Hitler - but in 1865, I bet there were many people North and South who would equate the two in terms of war crimes.
12-18-2014, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 10:30 PM by Gene C.)
Hitler and Lincoln?
Your right, can't compare the two.

Have you been to the Holocaust Museum?
**** WARNING - this is an ugly link l https://www.google.com/search?q=jewish+c...d=0CDAQsAQ