Funeral Washington, D.C. - wood engraving
12-11-2014, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 03:50 PM by loetar44.)
Funeral Washington, D.C. - wood engraving
Just saw the folowing wood engraving, with caption "Funeral of President Lincoln at Washington, D.C.", published in Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, vol 20 (May 6, 1865), p.103-4. Courtesy of Library of Congress; Reference Number: LC-USZ62-6935

It does not look to me as a depiction of the procession on April 19. It might be an image that depicts the journey to Washington's Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Depot on April 21. I never saw this picture before. Who helps me out?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2014, 04:24 PM
RE: Funeral Washington, D.C. - wood engraving
Hopefully my aging eyes are not deceiving me. Kees, I think what you posted combines the two page woodcut engraving from Frank Leslie's. Both images are here. (Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection)
12-11-2014, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 04:47 PM by loetar44.)
(12-11-2014 04:24 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hopefully my aging eyes are not deceiving me. Kees, I think what you posted combines the two page woodcut engraving from Frank Leslie's. Both images are here. (Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection)

Your eyes are in perfect condition Roger ! You are fully right and solved “my mystery”. Thanks! You are fantastic...
12-16-2014, 03:43 PM
New to the forum and thanks for letting me join in. I have a copy of this newspaper drawing that has been preserved between two sheets of glass. My grandfather owned it and it was passed down. I have always wondered how rare this newspaper article/picture actually was. Do either of you know if this is a rare print? It is very large in person, almost 3 feet long stretched out.
12-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Welcome to the forum, Joe. I cannot help on your question as I have no idea. Hopefully someone might know something.
12-16-2014, 04:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2014 04:15 PM by Gene C.)
You may want to contact Rick Brown at http://www.historybuff.com

http://www.historybuff.com/about.html

He is a member here and very knowledgable!

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-17-2014, 01:14 AM
The May 6, 1865 issue of Frank Leslie's has a collector value between $100-$150. Often on eBay, sellers take apart issues and try selling the engravings individually. Problem is that they start their opening bid for almost what an entire issue sells for.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

"Not everything you read on the Internet is true." Abraham Lincoln