High School Presentation
11-06-2014, 11:25 AM
High School Presentation
Hi,

As an amateur Lincoln assassination historian/buff, I've been invited to speak in front of my son's history class about the assassination. He is a Junior in HS. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and knew of any prepared presentations on the subject. If not, I am going to construct a Power Point presentation. Perhaps Dave Taylor???

Thanks

Michael Gambuzza
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2014, 11:35 AM
RE: High School Presentation
In its forty years of existence, the Surratt House volunteers and staff have run the gamut of speeches related to the Lincoln assassination accompanied by everything from slides to Power Point presentations. That said, I would advise you to prepare your own presentation because you will be much more comfortable with it. Just putting the graphics together will give you "dress rehearsal" time to learn what you want to say. Hint: Depending on the learning level of the students, make sure you follow a basic timeline so that things follow in sequence and allow enough time at the end of the presentation for the students to throw questions at you. I would hold their questions to the end also, or else they may throw you off base.
11-06-2014, 12:48 PM
(11-06-2014 11:35 AM)L Verge Wrote:  In its forty years of existence, the Surratt House volunteers and staff have run the gamut of speeches related to the Lincoln assassination accompanied by everything from slides to Power Point presentations. That said, I would advise you to prepare your own presentation because you will be much more comfortable with it. Just putting the graphics together will give you "dress rehearsal" time to learn what you want to say. Hint: Depending on the learning level of the students, make sure you follow a basic timeline so that things follow in sequence and allow enough time at the end of the presentation for the students to throw questions at you. I would hold their questions to the end also, or else they may throw you off base.

Thanks Laurie; good advice. My main concern is going past the 55 minutes so I have to rehearse I guess.
11-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Michael, possibly this gentleman could assist you. You could try contacting him by emailing the folks at the Oakland County Pioneer and Historical Society.
11-06-2014, 05:52 PM
(11-06-2014 04:57 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Michael, possibly this gentleman could assist you. You could try contacting him by emailing the folks at the Oakland County Pioneer and Historical Society.

Thanks Roger.
11-06-2014, 08:01 PM
I taught for 35yrs in a high school in Rochester,NY.and I would be more than pleased to help you!
11-06-2014, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 03:59 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Hi Michael,

These are some general (not subject-related) suggestions based upon what I (try to) "train" my students (all "secondary education" grades) to do when they give presentations. Please, even if worded quite the imperative way, see all the following as suggestions of which you may find something suitable, or not.

- My first thought was why doesn't your son present with your help in preparation, but wow - 55 minutes is quite something to fill for a "beginner"! What about involving your son - at least as "assistant"? It is usually easier for two to "entertain" over such a long time, it's livelier, and your son will sure benefit.

- Laurie said "I would advise you to prepare your own presentation because you will be much more comfortable with it." I totally agree! And it's yours! (Please forgive me if I put the following that bluntly- and yours is what I guess you have been invited for.)

- Give a brief and simple overwiew in the beginning, maybe write the keywords (for young students maybe each illustrated with a symbol) on a poster that's permanently visible (you can refer to it during the presentation).

- Speak as freely as possible (e.g.from keywords). Reading entire prepared sentences will make you too fast and less comprehensible as written sentences usually carry highly concentrated information! And reading tends to make it boring, especially if you do a PP presentation. Also the students won't need your help to (only) read the sentences on the slides - try to say and explain them (additionally) in your own words.

- Re: Laurie's "...allow enough time at the end of the presentation for the students to throw questions at you. I would hold their questions to the end also, or else they may throw you off base." Additional hint: Ask them to notice their questions, or they might forget until you have finished.

- You can also ask them (in advance!!!) to find and notice one or two questions (and the answers!) to ask their classmates afterwards (works amazingly well). It's an excellent repetition, involves the students, will make them more attentive, and it will relieve you from filling all the time alone.

- Despite "slide show pictures" try to bring "realia" - something "real" to pass around and touch! Even if just two, three interesting books (like "20 Days"). Or a stovepipe hat, a CDV, whatever. Think of the best "timing" to "throw them in" (as they might distract when you go on speaking).

Good success!
11-07-2014, 07:07 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 07:08 AM by HerbS.)
Eva-You have fantastic ideas!"Hook students before you pull them".
11-07-2014, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 10:29 AM by brtmchl.)
Michael, I can't speak for what it is like speaking to High School students, but for the past 3 years I have spoken in my wife's 5th grade classroom on the same subject. I can tell you that students will appreciate anything visual. I have also learned that emphasizing the small details and not reading a prepared speech seems to get them more excited and interested. I like to compare it to telling a factual campfire story complete with visual aides. It is a fascinating story. You will be great.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
11-07-2014, 11:02 AM
To all that have replied: Thanks for the very good advice and offers to help. I think I will construct my own ppt and take the aggregate of all your good advice. Who knows, maybe I can get a student(s) interested enough so it is a life long interest as it is for many of us. I will certainly give a plug to the Surratt Society and museum as well as the escape route tour.
11-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Always use handouts and try to involve your audience,but firstly-know your audience.Tell them that there is no stupid question.
11-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Awwwww man, some guys have all the luck! I wish somebody would ask me to do something like this. I tend to really run my mouth, especially when it's something I'm so interested in. Fifty-five minutes would be no problem, in fact I'd probably have to cut it short. And I'd be willing to bet that somebody in that class will find it interesting enough to get into it on their own. It's just too fascinating a story for that not to happen.

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth
11-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Congratulations! Through my nonprofit I have several outreach programs and have five different presentations centering around the Lincolns and the Civil War. Each presentation is geared towards a different grade/age level. 3rd through 7th, 8th through 12th etc. I do not charge for my presentations to schools. While I have been requested to speak at schools 300 miles from my home, I am unable to secure any bookings in my local area. I have given presentations at schools in Springfield and Waukegan, Illinois, and New Haven, Ohio (about half way between Toledo and Columbus, Ohio.) I've mailed letters and DVDs with condensed versions of my presentations to 50 school principals in my area. While giving presentations to SUV (Sons of Union Veterans) groups I've given out the same DVDs to any kids or teachers in the audience. I've even had appointments with various Superintendents of school districts within 50 miles of my home. While the Superintendents rave about my offer, I still have not had any bookings less than 300 miles from my home. The grass is always greener on the other side? Any suggestions on how to achieve any school bookings in my local area - Lansing, Michigan?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization
11-08-2014, 04:36 PM
You could do a presentation about the true story of John Wilkes Booth not being the man shot in the barn!
11-08-2014, 04:44 PM
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, but it cuts just as hard!