November Surratt Courier
10-24-2014, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2014 06:28 AM by BettyO.)
November Surratt Courier
Susan Higginbotham's wonderful article on Nora Fitzpatrick - "Acquainted with Sorrow: Honora Fitzpatrick, Mary Surratt's First Boarder" has debuted in the latest Courier - fascinating reading and wonderful research - don't miss it! Can't wait for Part II, next month....

The research is impeccable and there are many facts reiterated here that I never knew about Miss Fitzpatrick! Thanks to new and improved research technology via the web, lots of information is being uncovered which was not available before -

For those who do not have a "hard copy" of Virginia Lomax - The Old Capitol and it's Inmates, an ebook can be found here:

https://ia601201.us.archive.org/34/items...00loma.pdf

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2014, 12:15 PM
RE: November Surratt Courier
Thanks so much, Betty! Coming from you that means a lot. I do need to correct one thing in the article (I thought I had done so, but evidently not)--Nora was released from prison on May 22, 1865, the day she testified for the prosecution, not when the trial began as stated by the article.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-24-2014, 03:51 PM
This is truly an amazing article. Kudos on all your research, Susan. As an animal lover I am glad you mentioned her cat - I wonder what ever happened to it. Maybe someone can explain John Surratt's thinking to me - why is Nora playing with her cat a good sign of an old maid? I don't get the connection. I guess he was joking, but I still don't see the reason he'd write that.
10-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Thanks!

I think the cat-old maid comment comes from a Victorian stereotype of never-married women living alone with their cats--a forbearer of our own "crazy cat lady" stereotype. Nettie Chase wrote a letter to her sister Kate in 1864 in which she wailed, "Looking into the future I see old maidism and forty cats before me."
10-24-2014, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2014 06:20 PM by BettyO.)
Quote: I see old maidism and forty cats before me.

...and yes - Union spy, spinster Elizabeth Van Lew AKA "Crazy Bets", did actually live in her Church Hill mansion with her forty cats!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-24-2014, 07:29 PM
I never knew Kate Chase had a sister!
10-24-2014, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2014 07:51 PM by Susan Higginbotham.)
(10-24-2014 06:18 PM)BettyO Wrote:  
Quote: I see old maidism and forty cats before me.

...and yes - Union spy, spinster Elizabeth Van Lew AKA "Crazy Bets", did actually live in her Church Hill mansion with her forty cats!

Well, at least she had the room for them! That's one of many places I wish had been left standing.

(10-24-2014 07:29 PM)Hess1865 Wrote:  I never knew Kate Chase had a sister!

Janet ("Nettie") was Kate's younger half-sister. Nettie married William Sprague Hoyt, a relative of Kate's husband. The sisters later fell out over a lawsuit involving the Sprague estate.

Nettie was a talented artist who illustrated a couple of children's books.
10-24-2014, 08:31 PM
I can tell that Susan is reading American Queen just like I am.
10-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Received my copy today! Fascinating article and excellent research! I can't wait for the continuation (although it doesn't sound very pleasant for Nora)!
10-25-2014, 04:04 PM
I agree! Wonderful article Susan. You did an amazing job.

I also liked the idea of comparing Booth and Ahab. Very fun.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
10-25-2014, 05:49 PM
(10-25-2014 04:04 PM)brtmchl Wrote:  I agree! Wonderful article Susan. You did an amazing job.

I thought the comparison of Booth and Ahab was a fun thought also and a great comparison between the hatreds that can control men's actions. It also reminded me of my teaching days when, for several years, I team taught history with a fellow teacher interacting with English and literature appropriate to the same period that we were studying in history. It's amazing how much depth you can bring to each subject when teaching in tandem.
10-25-2014, 08:04 PM
(10-25-2014 05:49 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(10-25-2014 04:04 PM)brtmchl Wrote:  I agree! Wonderful article Susan. You did an amazing job.

I thought the comparison of Booth and Ahab was a fun thought also and a great comparison between the hatreds that can control men's actions. It also reminded me of my teaching days when, for several years, I team taught history with a fellow teacher interacting with English and literature appropriate to the same period that we were studying in history. It's amazing how much depth you can bring to each subject when teaching in tandem.

Thanks, Jenny and brtmchl!

Laurie, I bought the new Kate Chase book but haven't read it yet. I read another book about her last year, which I enjoyed, but I think I'll like this one even better.
10-25-2014, 09:28 PM
(10-25-2014 08:04 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  
(10-25-2014 05:49 PM)L Verge Wrote:  

Thanks, Jenny and brtmchl!

Laurie, I bought the new Kate Chase book but haven't read it yet. I read another book about her last year, which I enjoyed, but I think I'll like this one even better.

I am loving American Queen - and I am changing my opinion of Kate Chase. A very interesting lady who put up with a lot from the men in her life and chose to be as strong as they. I am also getting a good lesson in late-19th century politics.
10-29-2014, 08:23 AM
I just got my courier on Monday. The USPS here in upper Montgomery County Md runs a bit slow. Susan, I hope you can stand a little constructive accolade. I think you really shouldn't leave us hanging! This is a superb piece of research that is authoritatively written and entertaining. I've said it before and will say it again, researcher/historians like Susan, Betty Ownsbey, and Rich Smyth and countless others are the people who bring history alive.....or in Rich's case, to death.
Susan, your biggest problem is that now we will expect more. Great article.Big Grin Big Grin
10-29-2014, 12:42 PM
(10-29-2014 08:23 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  I just got my courier on Monday. The USPS here in upper Montgomery County Md runs a bit slow. Susan, I hope you can stand a little constructive accolade. I think you really shouldn't leave us hanging! This is a superb piece of research that is authoritatively written and entertaining. I've said it before and will say it again, researcher/historians like Susan, Betty Ownsbey, and Rich Smyth and countless others are the people who bring history alive.....or in Rich's case, to death.
Susan, your biggest problem is that now we will expect more. Great article.Big Grin Big Grin

Thanks! My previous research has been into medieval/Tudor history, so it's been fun to work with records I can actually see in person (and read!).