2015 Surratt Conference
08-23-2014, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2014 07:44 PM by L Verge.)
2015 Surratt Conference
I have been remiss in not posting the line-up of speakers at the March 20-22, 2015, conference of the Surratt Society - the theme of which is "...He Belongs to the Ages." Speakers will include: Dr. Terry Alford on his soon-to-be-released biography of JWB, Fortune's Fool; Dr, James Martens of Marquette University speaking on his biography of Corporal Tanner; Scott Trostel, an expert on the Lincoln Funeral Train; Kim Bauer, speaking on Mrs. Lincoln; The Honorable Frank J. Williams sharing thoughts on keeping Lincoln alive through collecting; and Harold Holzer on the importance of the Lincoln Legacy. Our banquet speaker will be Richard Sloan on Lincoln Lives in Hollywood. With all the work that Richard has done in the field of Lincoln on stage and screen, I suspect that Mr. Lincoln is really in Richard's upstairs work room!

The Friday bus tour will include the special Lincoln exhibit at the Smithsonian, lunch, and a matinee performance of Mr. Lincoln's Civil War at Ford's Theatre. The opening reception will take place back at the Surratt House.

The Sunday bus tour will be a Booth Escape Route tour with author James Swanson as the narrator. We also hope to have a surprise at Ford's Theatre that morning. We're still trying to confirm that.

Conference packets will be mailed to all Surratt Society members in November. If you are not a member and would like a packet, please send name and address to me at laurie.verge@pgparks.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2014, 12:58 AM
RE: 2015 Surratt Conference
Oh, how I would love to be there! Sounds like the best yet!
08-24-2014, 02:24 AM
Why, why, why can I not live closer to the East where all the action is??

This is exactly the sort of event I would love to attend!
08-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Hope you can make it, Toia! Would LOVE to meet you - you'll fit right in! We always have a wonderful time -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-24-2014, 10:58 AM
What a great line-up. Like others have said- I wish I lived closer!!!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-24-2014, 12:27 PM
(08-24-2014 08:13 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Hope you can make it, Toia! Would LOVE to meet you - you'll fit right in! We always have a wonderful time -

I'd love to meet all you folks too...it would be a blast!
08-24-2014, 12:29 PM
In the past, we have had registrants from California, Arizona, all through the Midwest, the East Coast from Maine to South Carolina, Canada, and Germany. Last year, 28 states, Canada, Washington, D.C., and Germany were represented. About 75% of the people return multiple years. We keep registration fees low and have a great reduced rate at the hotel in order to make it more affordable for people. Some who have to fly have found great rates there also. Does the Surratt Society make any money on the conference? No. They don't take a great loss, but they consider this an educational endeavor, not a fundraiser.
08-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Laurie, I would be in heaven...this really does sound like my kind of event and my kind of people. If I can possibly make it, I will be there!
09-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Counting the days until the conference. Wow!
09-29-2014, 07:12 AM
The Surratt Conference is an absolute must-go. It's better than any class reunion. It's great to put a face with a name, and no one says, "Wow, Jim's gotten fat and bald!"
09-29-2014, 03:39 PM
This sounds like a fantastic conference. I can't wait for the Booth Tour with James Swanson. If any of you have not read "End of Days" do yourself a favor and get it. It is as good as "Manhunt" and "Bloody Crimes".

Heath
09-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Agreed, Heath. "End of Days, very well done, a great read.
09-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Reading End of Days was like reliving my sitting in front of the television and watching everything all over again. I think that's why James Swanson is so popular with readers; his style flows and is easy to understand. It creates a "You Are There" feeling. A recent book that did the same thing for me was Tom Bogar's Backstage....
09-29-2014, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2014 09:28 PM by Tom Bogar.)
Aw, shucks. Thank you, Laurie. Funny: that is exactly what I was aiming for (really). Looking forward to seeing everyone at the conference in this landmark year of 2015! And for anyone who might be on the fence about attending, don't give it a second thought, just pawn all the jewels and GO--you won't regret it. And Jim is right: it really is like a big reunion. Everyone will make you feel right at home (even the fat old bald guy--wait: that would be me, too). ;-)
09-30-2014, 12:52 PM
(09-29-2014 09:27 PM)Tom Bogar Wrote:  Aw, shucks. Thank you, Laurie. Funny: that is exactly what I was aiming for (really). Looking forward to seeing everyone at the conference in this landmark year of 2015! And for anyone who might be on the fence about attending, don't give it a second thought, just pawn all the jewels and GO--you won't regret it. And Jim is right: it really is like a big reunion. Everyone will make you feel right at home (even the fat old bald guy--wait: that would be me, too). ;-)

Tom, I couldn't agree more with Laurie. Your book was terrific and I learned a good deal that I didn't know before. I never fail to think how unfairly Spangler was treated. It is no wonder that Booth specifically commented to Herold about how bad he felt over the trouble he caused Spangler.

Heath