Coming Soon!
08-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Coming Soon!
Look for Wild Bill's newest book, The Assassinator - the Trial and Hanging of John Wilkes Booth.

What would have happened if JWB had been captured alive? Once again, Bill Richter takes us back in time as only Wild Bill can - wonderful dialogue and a true Victorian period setting prepare us for a stunning story backed by great research and great story telling. Fiction? Yes - but the facts behind the story make it a grand roller coaster ride!

Don't miss it!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2014, 04:15 PM
RE: Coming Soon!
Sounds fascinating! Betty, thank you for posting. Possibly we shall end up with a greater understanding of Booth's words in his diary: "Though I have a greater desire and almost a mind to return to Washington, and in a measure clear my name - which I feel I can do." I have always wondered what he meant. Kudos on your new book, Bill.
08-10-2014, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 05:17 PM by Gene C.)
Wild Bill doesn't have him getting off?

I can see it all now, "If the boot doesn't fit, you must aquit"

On the more serious side, do we have a release date?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Things are quite up in that air. I went through proofs etc like a fireball but how the production part will go I do not really know. They act like it will take forever--well, by October anyhow. Hopefully sooner.

You know I cannot hang Booth, don't you? I'll let the ending be surprise.
08-12-2014, 09:23 PM
(08-10-2014 04:59 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Wild Bill doesn't have him getting off?

I can see it all now, "If the boot doesn't fit, you must aquit"

On the more serious side, do we have a release date?

LOL!! Good one Gene!!Big Grin
08-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Wild Bill, was your writing partner in this book Rick Stelnick?
08-17-2014, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2014 09:24 PM by Wild Bill.)
As I understand it, Rich, Rick Stelnick died some time ago. Yes, he and I were going to write this book. Originally Stelnick was to write the Prosecutor's part and I was to write Booth's defense. But we never could agree as to how to get JWB from Garrett's to DC. The argument became quite heated and so the book stood, an idea only. Then my friend, Rick Smith came up with the solution, independently, which I will not reveal to you. I called him brilliant and wrote the book my way.

Read the book to find out. Gene C. is closer to the story than one might think. But he is not 100% on it. It is listed on Outskirts Press in its bookstore or on Barnes & Noble. It is supposed to be on Amazon, too, but has not yet been listed. Search on my name, William L. Richter or the book title, The Assassinator. The price is $12.95. It is short and to the point (about 200 pages), unlike most of my writing. The book is dedicated to Stelnick's memory. He had nothing to do with its present context, but the original idea was his. I believe that one can also find it in PDF format on B&N, I think.

It is a novel with footnotes, inspired by William Safire's Freedom
08-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Can't wait to read Bill's book. I wonder how he solves the problem of defendants not being able to testify. We need a great JWB speech but Wild Bill has to be careful . He must avoid over reliance on arcane constitutional arguments that will make his courtroom audience fall asleep.
Tom
08-20-2014, 07:42 AM
(08-17-2014 09:23 PM)Wild Bill Wrote:  Read the book to find out. Gene C. is closer to the story than one might think. But he is not 100% on it.

Big Grin

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-20-2014, 07:57 AM
Once again, Wild Bill can do Victorian dialogue and time period descriptions as no one else can! He gives an actual "You are There" feel to everything he writes!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-27-2014, 05:51 PM
(08-20-2014 06:56 AM)Thomas Thorne Wrote:  Can't wait to read Bill's book.

I am about half way through the book and recommend it to all. It's an excellent read. I also love the notes. Lots of familiar names cited (Ed Steers, Mike Kauffman, etc.) but also lots of books, articles, etc. I never heard of before. Tom, you are going to like this one!
08-27-2014, 07:55 PM
It is a very good read and one that clears the cobwebs out of the brain after one has read too many assassination accounts. I don't know of anyone who is more precise about citations than Bill Richter! Just reading his notes and jotting down his sources, one can start using the list to know what to acquire for a personal assassination library.

Just one thing, Bill - before it goes into a second printing, please have someone clean up some simple typos: Queensberry should be Quesenberry in the Introduction, and Herold is given as Harold in quite a few places (a typical error in 1865). Your publisher should have a proofreader on staff to catch such things. And, I know I'm being picky...Sorry.
08-31-2014, 07:06 PM
(08-27-2014 07:55 PM)L Verge Wrote:  It is a very good read and one that clears the cobwebs out of the brain after one has read too many assassination accounts. I don't know of anyone who is more precise about citations than Bill Richter! Just reading his notes and jotting down his sources, one can start using the list to know what to acquire for a personal assassination library.

Just one thing, Bill - before it goes into a second printing, please have someone clean up some simple typos: Queensberry should be Quesenberry in the Introduction, and Herold is given as Harold in quite a few places (a typical error in 1865). Your publisher should have a proofreader on staff to catch such things. And, I know I'm being picky...Sorry.

I am more than half-way through the book now (after a week of personal distractions). If for no other reason, get it in your hands and read pages 83-131 for one of the best, most concise, and understandable summations for the coming of the Civil War and the fundamental reconstruction of our political system.

Bill did much the same thing in Sic Semper Tyrannis (and also in Last Confederate Heroes), but the average student could save themselves hundreds of dollars in textbooks and general, non-fiction accounts by just reading Bill's explanation (with appropriate citations from all levels) as portrayed in JWB's discussions with Sarah Slater.

If my Civil War 101 instructor in college had done it this way, I might have been able to stay awake. It makes sense!
08-31-2014, 07:14 PM
I have to agree, Laurie!

His initial summary that Booth took things into his hands after the capture of Harney in April '65 makes perfect sense....