Hello!
07-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Hello!
Hi, everyone! I joined today and was looking for a place to introduce myself, so I hope here is fine. I've always had a interest in Lincoln throughout school and in my high school years, in history class, I remember picking out a subject that was related to Lincoln, only if just a little. Just a year or two ago, I became interested enough in Lincoln to start buying books and research him a little bit. I know a little bit about him, I think most of my knowledge of him is of his early life. Though from what I've read from other members on this site, I probably won't be able to contribute much. I'm still very much a newbie learner, so I'll probably be doing mostly reading on this site and learn from others. Don't want to look like a fool! haha I'm excited to be on a forum of other Lincoln admirers.

As for the Ann part of my username it refers Ann Rutledge who I really like. I know some historians don't think she ever existed, but I'd like to think she did. Though it's a sad story. Other people in Lincoln's life I really like is Jack Armstrong, Joshua Speed and William Seward.

Another reason why I decided to join is, because I have a good friend, Angela who is also on here and encouraged me to join. (:

So, anyways, just dropping by to say hi to everyone and see everyone around the forums! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2014, 06:49 PM
RE: Hello!
Welcome, LadyAnn!

We're so glad to have you with us - and glad to see you posting! We're a really friendly, helpful group who prides themselves on being professional, scholarly and yes, we even have more than our fair bit of fun and levity.

So welcome aboard - and be sure to talk to our utmost Seward historian, Linda - she's a super researcher! Love your Avatar.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Welcome, Lady Ann! I'm sure you know more about Lincoln than I do since my focus is on the assassination so don't be afraid to post. You never know when you may post something that may lead to an interesting discovery.

Thanks for the compliment, Betty! My main interest in the Seward family is how they coped with the assassination.
07-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Welcome LadyAnn!
You and Angela should consider joining a few of us on our long weekend at Springfield & New Salem this October. We have some very knowledgeable guides who help make this so much better than if you just go on your own. Plus we eat well too! If you haven't read the thread "Springfield Tour", you will find it helpful. It's a small enough group that you will make some life long friends too. We have a few folks that live in the area that have indicated they will try to join us this year, if only for part of our visit.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Lady Ann, I agree with Linda -

I'm not too familiar with basic Lincoln history myself....I'm an assassination buff/researcher with an interest in the conspiracy and Lewis Powell so you can teach me something as well!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Welcome LadyAnn. I too am a believer in the Ann Rutledge story, but I think that Mr. Lincoln went on to love another equally as well. Like Betty and Linda, I'm part of the assassination crew, but we're learning a lot from the pure Lincoln scholars on this forum. I know that you will enjoy reading and posting.
07-06-2014, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 10:44 PM by LadyAnn.)
Thank you, everyone for the warm welcomes! Wow, up to this time, I didn't know there were people out there who specifically studied Lincoln's assassination. You all have already taught me something!

Thanks, BettyO! I just love that picture; that's how I envision what Ann looked like. And it's such a cute picture! ^_^

I feel braver to post now, so thank you all for making me feel comfortable and welcomed. Smile
07-07-2014, 05:43 AM
Your avatar is wonderful, Lady Ann - it's a Lloyd Ostendorf print. I always loved his artwork - he could draw/paint just about anything Lincoln beautifully!

Yes there are a a lot of us "Boothies" or "Booth Buffs" as we call ourselves - and that doesn't mean that we don't admire Lincoln either.... we're just "hung up" on the assassination aspect of the entire thing - no pun intended!

Thanks - we're glad you're here and posting!

07-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Lady Ann: how great it is to have you here! Feel free to ask anything related to Lincoln and his era. There are a lot of smart folks here to learn from. I echo what Gene said about going to Springfield- it would be a wonderful learning experience if you can make it.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2014, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 10:32 AM by LadyAnn.)
Thanks for telling me who made that picture, I figured it was just a sketch or something, so that's cool to know. Thank you for your welcome LincolnMan. I would love to tag along, on the Springfield trip, but I'm afraid certain circumstances prevent me from meeting up with everyone. Thanks for the invitation, though! (: I DO want to make it up to Springfield some time!

I've got a question BettyO: why does the assassination of Lincoln intrigue you so much that you study that alone? Just curious!
07-07-2014, 12:07 PM
If you like Ostendorf's art work, here is a nice book you may be interested in for only $4, plus shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-Bo...538&sr=1-9

I'd recommend the new paperback. The first edition copy of this work is slightly more expesnsive at $10.
http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-Re...673&sr=1-1

I own a copy. Not much story, but the drawings are nice. The picture on the cover and your icon are typical of the type of illustrations in the book.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Quote:I've got a question BettyO: why does the assassination of Lincoln intrigue you so much that you study that alone? Just curious![/i]

Lady Ann - It's the eternal mystery and I love mysteries!

Years ago, I got intrigued with Colonel John Singleton Mosby when I watched the old TV show "The Gray Ghost" at the age of 5 years. Later, in high school, I read Twenty Days and got interested in the Lincoln Conspiracy. Then, when I was about 20 years old, I got intrigued with Weichmann's True History....and Lewis Powell's role in the conspiracy (he rode with Mosby - hence the fascination there....)

I've been hooked ever since!

07-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Hello dear friend,

it is SO good to see you here as well and I'm glad that I am now not the only "newbie" ;-)

Although, @everybody here, please beware - I have seen this lady's bookshelf and it turned me green with envy.

You will love this board, LadyAnn, the people are simply amazing and kind and know SO much!
07-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Thank you for the book recommendations Gene C! I think I'll find a way to get that eventually. hehe

BettyO that's cool to read why you're so interested in the assassination of Lincoln. I always like to know the 'whys' out of curiosity. (:

Hey, Angela! Nice to see you on here and yes! Nice that I'm not the only newbie either! I don't have that much books of Lincoln. haha I need to get to reading them first! I already do love this board. :D
07-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Betty is too modest to mention it but she is the foremost authority on Lewis Powell. Her book "Alias Paine": Lewis Thornton Powell, The Mystery Man of the Lincoln Conspiracy is a classic of assassination literature. The second edition will be coming out soon.