Happy July 4th!
07-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Happy July 4th!
To all the Forum members and guests- happy July 4th!
May we all take a moment to reflect that we still live in the greatest country on earth- we pray it will always be so.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2014, 06:55 AM
RE: Happy July 4th!
Well said, Bill!!
Find all posts by this user
07-03-2014, 03:34 PM
OH-YEAH!-Herb
07-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Here are stunning photos of some of the most beautiful places in the USA.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/07/t...?hpt=hp_c2
07-04-2014, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 10:07 AM by HerbS.)
Thanks-Linda! I have been to many of those sites-NY-Va-Tenn-Mich-Ind-Ky-Pa-and others.There is a lot to say about the Ad Mts.and The Finger Lakes!-Herb-Plus-1000 islands!
07-04-2014, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 07:35 PM by BettyO.)
Thanks for the beautiful images, Linda! It really makes one proud to be an American - we live in such a beautiful country....

Here is an interesting perspective on the celebration of July 4th by both the Union and Confederates during the war - it's a downloadable 74 page thesis -

For instance, did you know that Vicksburg did NOT celebrate Independence Day for over 81 years after the war?!

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/availab...Thesis.pdf

Happy July 4th everyone!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-05-2014, 04:21 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 04:22 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Gorgeous photos, Linda, truly divine!!! (Make me feel in the wrong place.)
07-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Eva ---

You are not in the '"Wrong place" m'dear! Germany has a wonderful history and breathtakingly beautiful scenery --- (the Black Forest - castles and mountains!) Some day I may be lucky enough to be able to go abroad and get over there to see it! My cousin lived in Germany for 8 years and loved every minute of it....as a matter of fact, he compared it to the US in many ways.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-05-2014, 10:13 AM
I Agree about Germany!-I was there and my ancestor's are from-Northern and Southern Germany.-Herb
07-05-2014, 10:58 AM
One of the most beautiful and relaxing memories of my summer in Europe is the wonderful boat ride down the Rhine with so much to see on either shore. We won't mention the party at a beer garden in the Black Forest that we happened to find.
07-05-2014, 01:04 PM
I too have ancestors (from my maternal) side from Germany (Essen). I've never been to Germany however. It's one of those counties I would like to visit before I die.

Bill Nash
07-05-2014, 05:52 PM
One day late, but I hope you can open this - tremendous fireworks display from the Hunan Province of China where fireworks were invented. I believe this display is from a Chinese New Year celebration there, but it's enough red, white, and blue to keep me happy.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/_LpMB1OZ53g...creen%3e%3
07-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Folks were still blowing off fireworks in my neighborhood last night until 200 am or so. Wonder if they will continue to do the same tonight? Who has that kind of money to purchase all that stuff?

Bill Nash
07-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Same here -- going off last night over on Atlee Road about 1/4 mile away....I, too wondered if it would continue tonight - then my neighbor's two college age kids decided to hold a "gab fest" until about 2 AM this morning, laughing and talking loudly on their back deck.....

07-06-2014, 06:05 PM
We had them here in our neighborhood too for the second night - the big things, not the old-time sparklers that used to satisfy us. And again, I live in a county where they are illegal.