Skull of Civil War Soldier to be Auctioned
06-03-2014, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 07:12 AM by Gene C.)
Skull of Civil War Soldier to be Auctioned
http://news.yahoo.com/skull-civil-war-so...52730.html

News Update.....

http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_25881838/u-s...n-skull-is

Your thoughts

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2014, 08:08 AM
RE: Skull of Civil War Soldier to be Auctioned
Disgusting and disrespectful!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-03-2014, 08:11 AM
I am not sure what to think of this. There are no laws preventing the sale. What would become of the remains? Would it end up on someone's bookshelf? How do these "historic" remains" compare to those of the Booth mummy which many of us would like to see? Let's fast forward; what if a human skull was found on a beach in Normandy or a battlefield in Korea or Viet Nam. Could those be auctioned?
06-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Doesn't this fall under the category of "Dececration of Human Remains?"

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-03-2014, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 08:45 AM by HerbS.)
I would not want my ancestor's skull-ect.from Normandy or anyother place for that matter,auctioned off! How far have we gone as a society?
06-03-2014, 08:50 AM
If it was found outside the boundaries of the Nat'l. Park over 60 years ago, I guess they have no say, but personally I find this disrespectful.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
06-03-2014, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2014 07:20 AM by Gene C.)
I find it a bit peculiar that the auction company itself does not have a web site, and I have been unable to find any info about it on the internet. Not even a phone listing or address. Closest I could find is a Tom Taylor Auction company in TX

06-03-2014, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 08:43 PM by L Verge.)
We need to show respect for the dead, no matter how many years have passed.

This seems an appropriate place to also mention the opening of a month-long exhibit at Surratt House. For two years, we have been featuring the effects of the Civil War on the people back home as we did extra programming. Tomorrow, we will open this new exhibit, which is entitled "Death Comes a Knockin." Our mirrors and portraits will be draped in black; the mourning wreath will be on the door; the parlor will hold the coffin and mourners; and there will be a special display of mourning jewelry, hair wreaths and brooches, and other unique items. Even the kitchen will have a special mourning cup and saucer, and visitors will be given a recipe for mourning biscuits (raisin pie was also another appropriate food). There is a small booklet on the customs which features research done by our own Betty O. Just let me know at laurie.verge@pgparks.com if you would like a copy sent to you.

One of my favorite items in the display is a Victorian tear catcher (or bottle). I had heard of these, but never seen one. Tear bottles date back to ancient Persia and Rome and reappeared during the Victorian period of the 19th century, when those mourning the loss of loved ones would collect their tears in bottles ornately decorated with silver and pewter. Special stoppers allowed the tears to evaporate. When the tears were gone, the mourning period would end.

In some American Civil War stories, women were said to have cried into tear bottles and saved them until their husbands returned. Their collected tears would show the men how much they were loved and missed.

This weekend, we will have ladies sharing mourning traditions with our visitors, and another will be demonstrating the art of making hair jewelry. We did this exhibit years ago for about a decade. It was so popular that the Smithsonian would book in bus tours during the month so that they could learn from it as well as our regular history.
06-04-2014, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2014 07:57 AM by Gene C.)
Laurie, I sent you an email requesting the booklet, but I forgot to ask if you could include the recipe card for the mourning biscuits.
Are these as good as the morning Cinnamon N' Raisin biscuits at Hardees? Tongue

http://www.overdriveonline.com/eat-this-...-biscuits/

06-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Gene, I sealed the envelope before I read this. I'll post the recipe on this site sometime today.

As for tear catchers, they are still being made. Check out this: http://www.timelesstraditionsgifts.com/
06-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks. Very interesting, I've never heard about tear catchers before.

06-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Common decency prevails.

http://news.yahoo.com/gettysburg-skull-a...ZJUDQzMV8x

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
06-04-2014, 02:14 PM
(06-04-2014 09:33 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Gene, I sealed the envelope before I read this. I'll post the recipe on this site sometime today.

Thank you to Laurie for sending this information. CLICK HERE.
06-04-2014, 02:34 PM
(06-04-2014 02:14 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(06-04-2014 09:33 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Gene, I sealed the envelope before I read this. I'll post the recipe on this site sometime today.

Thank you to Laurie for sending this information. CLICK HERE.

Thanks Laurie, My wife thought I was being morbid by asking for the recipe. Just wait until I make some (adding chocolate chips of coarse). Will see if she thinks it's morbid then. Angel

06-04-2014, 02:36 PM
There is also another recipe that includes caraway seeds and ground cardamon. It calls for a small amount of rice flour in addition to regular flour in order to get a nuttier flavor and more of a sandy texture since the main recipe is a standard one for shortbread -- one part sugar to two parts butter and three parts flour.