Transforming the Boarding House
01-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Transforming the Boarding House
Found this wonderful old photo online -- it depicts the Surratt Boarding House being remodeled in 1925. This was to include the "overhang" which currently fronts the building over what was once the "English basement entrance" and took the place of old front stoop entering the 2nd floor parlor.

Another article I found stated that the old front stoop and stairway which Powell climbed "disintegrated and fell into collapse"

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2014, 06:22 PM
RE: Transforming the Boarding House
Great photo, Betty! If I remember correctly the first floor became a company that was raided for Prohibition violations in the late 1920's.
01-25-2014, 06:37 PM
You are correct, Roger! I also found an article about one of the raids in 1928 -

Plus - an account of the acquisitions in the boarding house which were sold at auction in October 1865 - I've forwarded that to Surratt House for their files.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
02-01-2014, 10:07 PM
I believe shortly before prohibition, the ground floor was a legitimate brewery. I believe Joan Chaconas has a picture of it from that era.
02-01-2014, 11:16 PM
At one time, it was the Picadilly Bottling Company. I do not know what they "bottled"..... but I don't think that it was soft drinks -

02-02-2014, 12:32 PM
The poor old building got raided again this week - this time by the health department. The Wok 'n Roll restaurant there was cited for violations and closed for one day.