Faces In The Crowd: Conspirators' Execution
09-16-2013, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2013 10:25 AM by John E..)
Faces In The Crowd: Conspirators' Execution
This past week I learned the names of two people who were present at the conspirators execution. Both men had ties to the War Department's telegraph office. They were Charlie Tinker and Major Albert E.H. Johnson.

Major Johnson was Edwin Stanton's private secretary and custodian / coordinator of the military telegraph office and Tinker was a telegraph operator and friend of President Lincoln.

For the last few years, I've been trying to identify faces in the crowd during the execution. I believe I may have located Maj. Johnson speaking with Gen. Hartranft in Gardner's photo "All Is Done".

I initially believed it was General Hancock but this new information has changed my mind. The man in the center photo resembles Johnson. However, its always possible that its neither Johnson or Hancock. I'd love to hear what everyone's opinions are on the photo comparison.

[Image: 1239481_10151801004708956_393213889_n.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2013, 12:36 PM
RE: Faces In The Crowd: Conspirators' Execution
Good catch, John!

I also see here that Hancock's nose appears to be longer - the other gentleman seems to be wearing glasses and his nose is much shorter and more snubbed.....at least that's what it looks like here -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-16-2013, 02:35 PM
I think it's a better chance of being Johnson than Hancock, based on the shape of the nose. I wish we could shave the beard off the elderly Johnson to see the shape of his chin. I have also been told to always pay attention to the ears because they do not change over time.
09-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi John. I shouldn't be giving an opinion on any question that involves eyesight, but my best guess is it's neither. But if I have only the two choices I would go with Johnson.
09-16-2013, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2013 03:59 PM by John E..)
There are several reasons I believe this man may be Major Johnson and all of it is pure speculation or educated guess. At the very least, I no longer believe the man is General Hancock. This search may never have a definitive answer but its fun to play and you have to start somewhere.

1. From Gardner's execution photograph, it appears that this man is being given special attention by General Hartranft. It's impossible to see his rank, but his coat indicates that he is NOT a General. Again, the photograph may be hiding some details from us on the coat, but from what I can tell, he is NOT a General.

2. The man appears to be wearing glasses. Johnson wore glasses and Hancock did not -- to my knowledge.

3. The eyebrows and cheek bones look like a close match.
12-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Hi John,

I noticed your mention of Albert E. H. Johnson. In doing research on my wife's Johnson family of Washington, D.C., I learned that AEH is the brother of my wife's ancestor, John H. Johnson. AEH is Albert Eugene Hughes Johnson. He and my wife's other Johnson ancestors are buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Georgetown, in the District of Columbia, Lot # 114. Albert was the son of John H. Johnson, born in Fauquier County, VA, on December 1, 1796.