The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
05-12-2013, 07:07 AM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
(05-11-2013 02:46 PM)L Verge Wrote:  To me, the second in command terminology refers to the kidnap plot - which I still think was sanctioned by the Confederacy until around the first of April. When the kidnapping didn't happen, I think Surratt was assigned to clean-up detail under Gen. E.G. Lee in anticipation of the fall of Richmond. Technically, he was back to what he had been doing for almost three years - following orders from the Confederate espionage system. He was no longer assigned to Booth.

Great points Laurie. He was pretty far afield during the second week of April. With the Confederacy falling apart so quick at the end of March, beginning of April, John may have been sent up north to run errands for the post collapse government. While Jefferson Davis had confidence in R.E.Lee to pull off the impossible, he also had to reinforce his contingency plans.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surat's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - Jim Garrett - 05-12-2013 07:07 AM