The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
05-09-2013, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 07:39 AM by BettyO.)
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
Quote:I think if she REALLY wanted to stop the murder she could have. She had enough time after 9 P.M. to alert authorities that they needed to rush to Ford's Theatre and guard the president. She chose not to take advantage of this small window. Did she also know that Powell was assigned to attack William Seward? I do not know.

If Mrs. Surratt did have time to avert the murder (at least an hour's window), like Atzerodt, she chose not to heed her better inclinations and avoided conflict by not "singing" to the authorities. Hence, this makes her an accessory. Did she know what Powell was up to? I doubt it. She may have known what Booth attempted to do, but I doubt she knew what the entire "gang" was going to attempt. Booth may have told her, but I doubt that as well. It was Herold who blurted out to Lloyd that they had "assassinated the President and Secretary of State."

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surat's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - BettyO - 05-09-2013 07:39 AM