The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
05-09-2013, 06:14 AM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
(05-09-2013 05:22 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(05-08-2013 08:57 PM)John Stanton Wrote:  If she found out on Friday, then her request to "pray for my intentions", was to stop the murder.

IMO, Booth made 3 (4 if Bill Richter's theory is correct) trips to the boardinghouse on Friday. IMO Booth told Mary the plan had changed during these visits. If we are to believe Weichmann, not only did she request for him "to pray for my intentions," but her other behavior is indicative of her worry that something big was about to happen. I agree with Kate Larson that Booth called about 9 P.M., and after that visit Mary got very nervous. Weichmann writes that on the morning of the 15th Anna Surratt said that the 9 P.M. visitor was indeed Booth. Thus, IMO, Booth stopped at the boardinghouse to check with Mary right before he rode to Ford's.

All I can say is this just makes sense to me. Of these people - whom did Booth feel closest to?: John Lloyd, Samuel Mudd, or Mary Surratt. I think he felt closest to Mary. He came right out and told Lloyd what he had done. He may have told Mudd, too, although that's just a guess. We're supposed to believe he gave his real name to Cobb but not to Mudd? Doesn't make sense to me. Mary was the one he was closest to, so I am of the opinion he told Mary what he was about to do at Ford's.

When Smoot came on Wednesday I think she thought the kidnapping was still the plan; but by Friday I think she knew what was about to go down.

I think if she REALLY wanted to stop the murder she could have. She had enough time after 9 P.M. to alert authorities that they needed to rush to Ford's Theatre and guard the president. She chose not to take advantage of this small window. Did she also know that Powell was assigned to attack William Seward? I do not know.

If Booth was the egotist he seems to have been, and if as you say, he felt closest to her, then he might have shared more with her than she ever let on. It's the way of egotists to brag about their plans and actions.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surat's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - MaddieM - 05-09-2013 06:14 AM