The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
05-07-2013, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2013 06:29 PM by BettyO.)
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
OK - Here is where I found that notice:

...We must also consider Powell's assertions that she may have known of the abduction plot. Fathers Wiget and Walter, spiritual advisors to Mrs. Surratt, visited Powell during his final hours. Father Wiget "embraced the favorable moment to ask him a question unheard of by the others, 'Laying my hand on his [Powell's] shoulder, so, I said in a quick low tone, 'Tell me my friend, is Mrs. Surratt guilty?' Just as quick, he answered, 'No, she is not!' Then suddenly leaning forward and putting his lips to my ear he whispered, 'She might have known that something was going on, but she did not know what.'" The New York Times for July 7, 1865, asserted that Powell "stated that he would do anything, say anything, if Mrs. Surratt and her daughter would be able to remain together." - Alias Paine, p. 137, Chapter 17, Footnote # 7

Footnote # 7: "The Hanging of Mrs. Surratt", New York Herald, Undated clipping, Gettysburg College Library, Hartranft Collection.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surat's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - BettyO - 05-07-2013 06:27 PM