The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
05-05-2013, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 07:44 AM by MaddieM.)
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
(05-02-2013 10:11 PM)Rhatkinson Wrote:  I recommend again Ms. Verge's (I suddenly remembered my manners and can't abide by continuing to refer to that nice lady by her first name) excellent paper/speech on Mrs. Surratt from 2003.

A KEY piece of evidence from that speech that I had previously overlooked is the behavior of Mrs. S on the night of the assassination. The testimony was that she "hustled" the ladies of her boarding house upstairs to bed before 10pm that evening, which was the only time she had ever done so at that hour. To me, this is damning testimony as why else would she have behaved so but for having inside information that "momentous" events were about to unfold that night? Perhaps she was made to believe that a kidnapping attempt was to be made again (I believe this WAS what she was told by JWB), but whether it was kidnapping or murder, the punishment was the same and she "deserved her fate." If the testimony is true, she knew something was afoot.

Just my thoughts. I would welcome discussion.

Heath

Deserved her fate? I'm not sure about that. I don't think any of them deserved to hang. Imprisonment, yes. Taking their lives, No.

(05-03-2013 05:17 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Heath, I have stated this in previous threads, but I'll repeat briefly here. I have a minority view on this. I believe Mary's behavior was due to a 9:00 P.M. visit from JWB in which he told her what was about to happen (and may also have done so earlier in the day). Another reason for JWB's stop was to make sure she had completed her mission to Lloyd's. She then asked Weichmann to pray for her intentions. If Bill Richter is correct, JWB may also have dropped off two pistols and a hat which he picked up as he escaped Washington. Mary sent everyone to their rooms so she could be alone and hold these things to be picked up just like Lloyd (whom I regard as a conspirator) was holding onto other stuff that would be picked up. Earlier Mary had made sure the path to Lloyd's was clear when she determined pickets along the route would no longer be there when JWB passed. Whether or not Bill Richter is correct, I am in the "Kate Larson camp;" i.e. I think it's likely Mary knew the plan had changed to assassination prior to the tragedy at Ford's. I think Booth trusted her fully. He told Lloyd the president had been assassinated; I think he also told Mary he had changed the plan to assassination. As with Atzerodt, I believe Mary had a small "window of opportunity" to save the president's life. Like Atzerodt, she chose not to take advantage of it.

I think the majority of books conclude Mary knew about the kidnapping plot but not the assassination. My gut feeling is that she knew about both.

I think you're right. I think she knew for sure, or at the very least suspected. All her behaviour patterns indicate her guilt. Also, I read recently that Anna Surratt pleaded with Powell the day before he died to speak up about her mother's innocence. Why would she do that? Why wouldn't Powell, if he believed her innocent, have spoken up without a begging visit from Anna. He must have felt sorry for her, and felt also for Mary Surratt and tried to do something about it. After Mrs Surratt's damning denial of him at the boarding house, you'd think he'd want a bit of revenge.. .if he was a cold blooded assassin that is.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surat's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - MaddieM - 05-05-2013 07:32 AM