The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
05-03-2013, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 08:28 AM by Linda Anderson.)
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
(05-03-2013 06:47 PM)John E. Wrote:  Count me in with those that believe she knew JWB was going to murder the President.

If you believe she was aware of the kidnapping plot, then you have to assume she knew Booth no longer owned a buggy. --> The fact that he had to rent one for her to take his field glasses to the Surratt Tavern should have tipped her off.

Also - If she was such a pious Catholic as Father Walter made her out to be, why on Earth would she be doing any sort of errands or work on Good Friday? I think that most Catholics back in those days would have stayed in and prayed or observed Jesus' death in a more solemn manner. I could be wrong about that though..

According to The True History of the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln by Louis Weichmann, both he and Mrs. Surratt attended Catholic services on Good Friday morning. Weichmann went to work afterwards and at 10:00 AM Stanton sent a letter saying that "several bureaus of the War Department who are members of religious denominations that have religious services on this day (Good Friday) are relieved from duty for the day."

When Mrs. Surratt asked Weichmann to take her to Surrattsville in the afternoon, he says he jumped at the chance to drive a horse and buggy. So we can also count Weichmann in as another pious Catholic who had no qualms about doing an errand on Good Friday.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surat's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - Linda Anderson - 05-03-2013 09:54 PM