The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
05-03-2013, 02:46 PM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
(05-03-2013 09:50 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I am happy to share my paper with you, however, I cannot do it electronically (without retyping the whole thing). The computer that it was on crashed years ago, and I had not backed-up that file (I'm terrible at doing that). Our print shop makes hard copies of it from time to time for me, so just e-mail me, and I will send you a copy.

That said, I am positive that Mrs. Surratt was in on the original plot; but my jury is still out on the assassination. However, I understand the court's decision - even though I would probably have voted for life in prison.

As for the theory that Booth visited H Street around 9 pm, before going to the theater, I have my doubts about that - mainly because I think it's a case of fictional assumption without documentable evidence (sorry, Bill!). If we can prove the statement that Joe Beckert found about Clara Harris saying that Booth "cased" the theater box about an hour before he did the deed, then it would screw up the theorists' timelines.

As those of you who have read it know, I began my speech with family stories since my great-grandparents knew Mrs. Surratt, etc. One story especially stuck with me through the ages. When my great-grandfather, Eli Huntt, offered his sympathies to Mrs. Surratt's younger brother, James Archibald Jenkins, the reply was to the effect that "she got what she deserved. She knew what was going on." In an age where family loyalty was a virtue, it seemed very harsh to me - and very telling.

The other event that convinced me that Mary was in on the plot was when I worked with Mr. Hall to transcribe the handwritten statements of the conspirators contained in the War Department files into book form so that they could be sold in the museum's gift shop. This was way back in 1980, while I was still a volunteer at the museum.

As I sat at my kitchen table in front of my typewriter (remember those?) and stared at the pages, trying to decipher 1865 handwriting, I was struck by her cool demeanor under questioning on both April 17 and again in the Carroll Annex on April 28. For a somewhat sheltered lady of the Victorian era, she seemed very composed - almost anticipating what they were going to ask and having a ready answer. I crack today when getting a speeding ticket; I can't imagine being questioned by authorities.

It's kind of funny to watch the expression on some of the museum visitors' faces when they learn that the director of Mary Surratt's old home thinks she "got what she deserved."

Laurie: do you still get the question frequently:"why is there a Surrett Society anyway, are you trying to honor her?" that must drive you crazy.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surat's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - LincolnMan - 05-03-2013 02:46 PM